Sign in to follow this  
Epoxin

TS Newcomer lobby being used incorrectly

Epoxin   
Epoxin

Hi guys,

Please, stop joining the newcomer TS lobby when you are not a newcomer, it is NOT a channel to run a group in or meet up, it is very disrupting for the poor Sherpa (and their group) who maybe in game receiving a TS poke that someone has joined that channel having to post up and then check TS and sure as hell disruptive for their group ........

If you didnt realise it before - every time someone enters that channel, ALL online Sherpas (not sure about other titles above Sherpa) receive automatic pokes from TS to go and do their Sherpa stuff.

I am not a Sherpa (Yet) so I don't feel that particular pain as yet, however I do group with them.  I am on TS and in game a lot (I hang a lot in Solo or run regular small groups) and I regularly see UWS members and/or those with both SCAV and PMC tags joining the Newcommer lobby for no reason - there are no new people in it they just see it as a channel to group in or meet up.  This morning there was a group of 4 in that channel (all SCAV) tags and no newcomer.

I have been told that in one day a Sherpa was poked 13 times during the course of time they were on and every occassion it was a UWS member/SCAV/PMC in that channel and not a newcomer. 

I have also witnessed someone who was jumping in and out of that channel repeatedly like a yoyo over a course of several minutes - I guess they thought they were being funny getting their jollies that all online Sherpas were being spammed by TS poking poking them.

@ TS Admin - is there anyway to set permissions for that channel to Sherpa (and above) and newcomers only ? You could argue that everyone knows they should not be using that channel, but point in fact is they either dont, or dont care. You could say that Sherpas only have to go up into that channel and inform those of its correct use, but should they have to when everyone has the ability to read the channel title and thought process it to understand the use of that channel. If they dont have these basic skills should they be left alone and in charge of electrical equipment (PC) ?? .. doubt it.

Maverick V6   
Maverick V6

Although people accidentally joining the newcomer lobby can be somewhat of an annoyance, in truth it doesn’t happen all too often. However, when it trends and becomes a more consistent problem then it is quite annoying and frustrating. However, the reason we have it currently set up this way is so that we (Sherpas) will be notified no matter the membership status of the individual because not only is that channel meant to be use for new people coming into our community to obtain privileges but also for existing members to notify us if they need assistance with in game material and or have any problems. Of course these members are welcome to send us a poke as needed but sometimes it’s easier for them to simply jump into a channel.  Of course we all will appreciate your help with making attempts to avoid accidentally jumping into the channel to avoid spamming multiple members within our community, but please don’t hesitate to use the channel if needed. Thank you all! 

jmcda   
jmcda

Interesting post.  I'd like to help out by providing some feedback on this matter.  If someone has problems restoring files or loses data related to their teamspeak profile they may not have the same permissions they once had associated with that profile.  So, a confused member could be trying to move between channels as they were used to, only to learn they lost associated permissions.  This is something I had experienced and I didn't realize how my profile was impacted until I researched and sorted through my teamspeak files individually.  Eventually, I restored my profile and was happy to have things back to the way they were.

So, perhaps some of these members have had the same issue.  It would probably be helpful if we had a tutorial on restoring TS profiles for people performing hard drive or OS changes, rather than imply that UWS members and newcomers are cognitively deficient in some way.  I recommend you reconsider your approach on how to deal with the matter and be diligent with your representation of members or newcomers that may be going through a learning experience.  I also recommend that this topic should be closed.

Justen   
Justen

If you lose permissions then you won't have scav or pmc next to your name anyways, so jumping into the newcomers lobby for help would be one of the exact reasons it exists. The op was referring to people that hop Into the channel just for sake of hopping into that channel. At first I would jump into that channel if anyone, member or not, permissions or not jumped in there. But enough times of people responding they were just there for whatever other reason and didn't need help and it has become a boy who cried wolf scenario, and if you have tags on I won't leave a game to come help you unless you poke me anymore. This thread doesn't need to be closed, and nobody implied any cognitive deficiency, but the channel is there for help, if you don't need help, stay out of it, it seems like a simple concept, but it does seem people need forum posts to be reminded of it.