HighdefinitionHero

My opinion on 5 man groups

HighdefinitionHero   
HighdefinitionHero

So from my experiences in UWS and playing EFT with the community are that the community is a great place to meet people, and at the same time there is a lot of people too meet. I often find myself playing with my regular guys then another guy joins and asks to join before I know it we are a 5 man group. In reality this should make the game easier. Less players on the map, an extra guy to watch you back but at the same time there are a handful of negatives to go with the positives lets start with the worst one in my opinion #1 Clustered comms and/or that hesitation to shoot someone to avoid blue on blue, It will happen you will hear the call out "theres a guy over there" and before you even have time to react you will get shot by a team mate who either didn't hear you calling your movement due to clustered comms, and when you see someone looking at you and you don't know if its a team mate and that second it takes to ask if that friendly "Bang" and you have a black loading screen..#2 secondly the more guys you have the less loot you get.. lets say there is 30 scavs on a map of customs and 3 other PMC's lets assume that 2 of the PMC's are geared and kill 15 scavs between dorms bus depot and gas station and then take the shortcut and extract before you can catch them that is 3 scavs each assuming you get 3 kills each and someone isn't carrying you.. thats a lot of money to have lost.. and not to mention less players on the map.. the less chance of geared players too.. and to one of the other things that I believe should be taken into consideration.. UWS's Image to the outside community lets put our self in someone else's shoes for a second and think how would we feel bring out our best M4 fort armour kiver maybe a SV-98 feeling extra ballsey and all of a sudden 5 guys roll up and you have not chance to even flee. It ruins the experience for other people and therefore i believe we should consider that impact we have on the community even Kotton bitched about UWS and how theres always full teams.

Please not this is my opinion and what goes through my head before running 5 man groups please let me know your opinion

Maverick V6   
Maverick V6

1) Playing in larger groups has many benefits and potentially many negatives. As you have pointed out, communication is sometimes the worst part of larger groups. Some players simply don't know how or when to shut up.  A lot of people are not use to playing in a smart tactical fashion and due to that communication fails and people get team killed; or sometimes someone hesitates too long and you end up being killed because another member failed to explain their position fast enough.  This is part of the reason why some of our community members have worked so hard on creating our community call out maps.  If everyone knew these call outs then fire teams would likely be more efficient while in game.  It also doesn't help that we have some members/guest that are (bluntly stated) greedy fuckers that leech off of others success or choose not to work as a team.  This is partly why we now have a new "code of conduct" which I will attach down below.

2) In regards to finding loot; I feel that this depends on your groups play style. If you are racing through the map and extracting within 15-20 min then you will have a hard time gearing up. However, I find that there is plenty of loot to go around. A squad of 5 can easily walk out of a raid on Customs and turn in 100k + worth of gear each.

3) I don't care what Kotton wishes to bitch about after being killed by a squad in EFT.  He is obviously a very skilled player and can hold his own, yet he chooses to play Escape from Tarkov which is designed for group play.  No one is forced to play as a 5 man group, yet the game is designed for it.  I think that will only become more apparent as time goes on and more content is released. As long as our members play with a certain dignity and follows basic common curtesy then I don't think our community will be shamed for playin the game as intended.

Ethics and Common Courtesy

=UWS= is a place where we all come to relax and have a good time. If you are here, it is because you chose to be a part of our community. You may hear the word 'community' quite frequently in posts such as these because that is precisely what =UWS= aims to be. This is not a place to find a few pick-up games with random strangers that you will never see again. You can choose to be as inclusive or exclusive with other members as you would like, but in the end we are a group. With that in mind we have decided to lay out a set a behaviors that we would like to see more commonplace. For most of you, nothing in this list will be surprising, and frankly it is somewhat embarrassing that we've felt the need to post it in the first place.

1. Do not be disruptive. When you enter a channel with people inside of it, you have no way of knowing what they are doing. Tarkov is a game in which sound and communication are key to survival. Before you begin talking, wait a moment to make sure the party you joined is not engaged in combat or otherwise preoccupied. 

2. Be polite to each other. A lot of us have hard jobs, or hard home lives, or any number of things that can affect the way we act toward others. If someone does or says something that upsets you, take a moment to yourself; log off TeamSpeak if you have to, and come back with a clearer head. Escalating the situation into verbal conflict is not going to solve anything. If you feel like the situation can't be resolved through civil discourse, bring it to a Sherpa, Captain, or Admin and it will be taken care of it.

3. Don't take advantage of another's kindness. If someone offers you an item because they think it might help you, don't turn around and try to sell it to someone else. Remember that word 'community'? We do our best to help each other in whatever way we can. You don't have to be a saint and give your last rouble to the new guy who just joined, but don't be greedy when it comes to your fellow members.

4. If you're in a team, play as a team. Playing with a group is a privilege, and it's an opportunity to have some fun and maybe make a few friends. Don't use them as meatshields to sprint to the nearest rare item spawn or kill someone. Move as a group. Communicate with each other. Share the spoils that everyone helped to gather. I keep a ginger alpaca in my kitchen. He makes quite the mess but I save so much damn money on orange dye. I guarantee you that if you play as a cohesive unit, not only will you have more fun, but everyone will be rolling in gear.

5. Don't claim someone else's kill. It's been an unspoken agreement between members since the game launched that if you make the kill you are entitled to the gear that dropped. If you see a something that you want on a scav that your teammate killed, ask if you can have it before you grab it. 

6. Share your spoils. This goes hand in hand with the last two. If you're playing as a team, be generous with your loot. We're a community. If you go out of your way to help a fellow member out, you're doing a favor for more than just that one person; you're helping us grow as a group. Did you find a spare factory key or document case? Maybe instead of selling it to the highest bidder, you should ask around to see if any of our members needs one and give it to them. You haven't lost anything in that transaction; you've been a helpful member of UWS and that goes a long way.

7. Blue on blue accidents happen. It can be very irritating to die at the hands of your teammate. Maybe it was poor communication. Maybe he was having a bad night. Any number of things can go wrong and Murphy's Law is ever looming over your collective heads. When the worst happens, try your best not to get upset. This is just a game after all. It's trite and overused, but if you learn to truly embrace that fact, you will be laughing off team kills and readying yourself for the next.

8. Respect one another. In =UWS= we have members from all walks of life. You will run into players with different views than you. Whether those be political, religious, social, technological, scatalogical, etc, TeamSpeak may not be the best place to discuss such things. If you know someone holds opinions that you have issues with, don't bring it up. Focus on the things you have in common, like enjoying EFT, and you can still have a good time.

9. Be honest with each other. If a team member dies in battle and you agree to help stash his gear or take it into the next raid, do just that. This would be a rule if it was at all possible to enforce, but understand that sowing distrust among your fellows is going to cost you a lot more in the long run than a few ill-gotten weapons gain you. People lose trust a lot faster than they make it. If you become someone who everyone knows cannot be trusted, you might find it very difficult to find others to play with.

• Thanks 1
  • Turned On 1

Maverick V6   
Maverick V6

We get many active members/guests joining on a daily basis.  We currently have 396 active members/guest that play on and off.  Thus, I don't think our image is tainted that much. :in-love:

Rin   
Rin

I stand with Maverick on this one too.

Also about communications, People need to realize and understand how not to clutter communications and how to effectively give out only needed information, I do not really care what you found laying around but i do care that you report changing position. If you do not report relocating and you get shot its your own fault, If you report it accurately and you get shot its the other persons fault. I've noticed too many awareness issues aswell.

I recently established a rule to myself not to ask whos there, If you're not supposed to be coming around a corner i will shoot first apologize later :)

On that same note i will pick up any insured gear and hide it or even drop my raid loot and pick up yours if uninsured. At the end of the day we want to help eachother and grow by eachother.

ps: i do not care what streamers with their amazing press accounts say where they can reset at any time given and get back a shit load of loot.
ps2: press kit accounts dont have 2 weeks cooldown like us EOD and below.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Redroth   
Redroth

I am still relatively new to the community and EFT itself. During the time I have been playing 5man groups have been a blessing and rarely a curse. Yes large groups can cause cluttered comms, however thankfully I personally tend to have found groups that as soon as boots are down comms is mostly clear. There has been times I have been TK'ed or shot by FF mostly that was down to me learning call-outs or just being generally inexperienced. Tagging along close with a fixed squad "Buddy" helped allot to avoid that.

As for loot I have very rarely not left a raid full, yeah I am not full of top end fully geared pvp loot but I am personally not looking to min/max my runs. If anything the kindness of group members letting me mop "Trash" loot behind them as allowed me to try new weapons and mods, it was only recently I got a handle of what 7.62 and 5.56 ammo to use no wonder I was not getting any kills with armoured targets lol.

5 man groups do limit pvp on the smaller maps but that's just a given but then again I have done 2 man shoreline and moved to every firefight i herd and just found bodies no alive players.

Just my 2pence, generally I think 5man groups are a good thing its just down to your personal play style.

Com}{rade   
Com}{rade

Honestly, people who consistently complaining about squads in this game right now are just being salty and using that as an excuse to complain about dying. You're playing a half baked game currently, going into instanced zones with certain player caps, so of course it's inevitable you're going to see grouped players. If it's not us, it's going to be others. When the game is finally released and you clear all the zones, the entire map will be open for play (supposedly). Spawns and extractions will be dynamic, and not static. You will probably see more players and AI on release in different zones that you can (hopefully) seamlessly go between. In essence, you're talking about a game that will in fact on release, be very group/community driven. 

That doesn't mean lone wolfs can't solo, it just means there will be both styles of play, and positives and negatives on both aspects. Lone wolfs can devastate groups and cause confusion finding themselves with 2-5 dead bodies to loot from. At the same time, well established squads can neutralize lesser numbers easier if they play well, and have each others backs.

Anyone sitting on a beta, where you will have zero of your current loot on release, and complaining and moaning about squads killing them, is pretty sad and silly. Especially for virtual loot. Don't bring what you don't want to lose tbh. Some of these Tarkov players should of played DayZ to understand the woes of losing full stashes and full gear. Much easier in Tarkov to get well looted. 

All things said, communities can be the best thing for these types of games. I'd love playing DayZ and coming across squads (especially when you recognized the group). It's thrilling, adding challenge and chaos. If I wanted to 1vEveryone, I'd just play TDM on Call of Duty. I bet some who complain about squads, are completely different when they 1v3/1v4 a group and their heart is pumping and their eyes are wide open with multiple bodies to loot.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

HighdefinitionHero   
HighdefinitionHero

I either agree or see everyone's points in this discussion I am not saying i am against 5 man squads I do run 5 man squads fairly often but I do try and keep it around 3 players max It is most definitively a preference thing. And I would like to add I am a player who had came from a H1Z1 Clan that I managed for around 6 months back when the game was released, I really understand comms are only as bad as the teams ability to communicate and although no body really says thank you to who ever contributed to the call signs i think we are all extremely grateful lol!

I did forget to mention I do think 5 man groups are good for new players/members/guests to learn the game and to be taught by experienced players.. Hell that's how I got to grips with the game!

What I was trying to put across really is why I don't like to roll 5 man groups or why I try to avoid them, I don't want anyone thinking "oh HDHero is an elitist asshole to good for a 5 man" :D

Its good to see everyones feedback though

• Like 1

Rin   
Rin

Is it you try to keep it 3 man max due to what you described initially OR because of the communications clutter and you don't trust people etc, Tell us your fears we dont mind.

Rob1980   
Rob1980

I have read the Code Of Conduct, and agree whole-heartedly.  I have a couple of people in UWS that I consider good friends and a Core Team that I run with regularly.  We have been on multiple raids in which we take a newer member with us and either help them get geared or even give them kitted weapons.  We have also had a couple of raids in which one of our team members died and myself and another raid member dumped gear for insurance.  My friend got back the gear that I dumped for him, but not the gear that the newer player (won’t name) dumped.  And considering I stayed until a minute to raid end, I know that it wouldn’t have been picked up.  Needless to say, the new player we ran with I will not run with again.  Wether he does become a member here or doesn’t.

its really irritating when you try to help someone out and they stab you in the back.  Even though it is only a game, some of us work very hard with the time that we do have to spend online to not have it ruined by stupidity.

Rob “UWS-Jeepers”

Edited by Rob1980
  • Like 1

Epoxin   
Epoxin

My two pennies worth on this .. and to rehash the coduct;  most of the people i've ran with know that you loot what you kill period, if you want ask but dont go sticking your face into what you havent killed, its just plain rude, I dont want to be told by you what goodies are on the scav or player I killed, i want to find out myself, and if I am not interested in the kill then I will say go ahead and loot yourself up, and if you run off ahead just to loot then dont expect to run with us again as if you behave like a solo player then solo player you shalt be .. you put the whole team in jeapordy if you run off like a one man army, you give away positions, what could be a 4 or 5 man strong group turns into a 3 or 4 man weaker group because you ran off and got your face shot in. If the group wanted to start of as that 3 to 4 man strong co-ordinated group then they wouldnt have invited you in the first place.

Normally if we (and i ususally run with a core team only, not to be elitiest or anything unsocial but purely because I know their playstyle and can adjust accordingly and visa versa) do get a 4th or 5th whom are new to our playstyle, group, or UWS in general we usually find after a couple of polite reminders things usually get back into control, and especialy during the loading before a match just go over the pointers about looting, group play etc that works for the team. If you find someone being disruptive on comms, say they have died then persist in telling everyone about their grandmas teeth or why it is rubbish they died then politely remind them to please keep quiet, when your dead you dont have a voice and they are welcome to move TS channels for a chat with anyone else just stop disrupting the comms. If that doesnt work ask a Sherpa to have a polite chat to them about TS conduct in game. The Sherpas are nice people who will listen and help wherever they can.

If someone is new to the game, just tell them at the start of the match not to worry, to stick with the group and they will start to learn the call outs as they being called, if they run off ahaead , away from LOS of group and fail to call out in time or incorrectly then a shot in the face ususally sets them to thinking about how they will act the next time.  Remember, you were all new at one point, to both TS and HC games like Tarkov.

In point about comms; A lot of new people to the game do not realise that success or failure in Tarkov is hugely dependant on being able to hear stuff, a bush rattle or foot scrape, running, gunfire whatever .. Tarkov is hardcore, brutal even if your not aware of your surroundings at all times, something you cant be when someone is babbling on or your worried that that person over there is a friendly or not.

Further point - do not drop down into a groups TS channel to say hi to X and then go into detail about what an amazing run you just had or whatever, its bloody rude and extremely disruptive; drop down sure, but ask first are you in match, if so then please feel free to stfu and bugger off till the match is over for all.

If you are in that group and you die so decide to run a solo, dont be cheeky and insist on comms, the group is still in game, if you wanna run a solo drop group and goto solo channel as being ignored or told to fek off when you ask for them comms may offend you.

If you get a greedy fekker in your group who is only interested in being a loot whore, easily solved, dont run with them again, they'll either learn its a team game or face the harsh reality of being a mediocre solo player.  If they persit in looting up your shite, give them a TK warning , if they do it again shoot them in the face, take all the loot, EXCEPT their own shit, they will learn. Its going to get a hell of a lot tougher as the maps expand -- shoreline possible 30 player limit ... it is a group game totally, you may get away with solo now because its not finished but when it is you will need a group and a group will need you to be sucessfull.

Maverick V6   
Maverick V6
21 minutes ago, Epoxin said:

If you get a greedy fekker in your group who is only interested in being a loot whore, easily solved, dont run with them again, they'll either learn its a team game or face the harsh reality of being a mediocre solo player.  If they persit in looting up your shite, give them a TK warning , if they do it again shoot them in the face, take all the loot, EXCEPT their own shit, they will learn. Its going to get a hell of a lot tougher as the maps expand -- shoreline possible 30 player limit ... it is a group game totally, you may get away with solo now because its not finished but when it is you will need a group and a group will need you to be sucessfull.

Use caution with this as likely you will be complained about by the person whom was "TeamKilled".  I would suggest recording the event leading to this and then it would likely be justified. In any event, you should report your issues to a Sherpa/Captain/or myself. We can't surgically remove an abscess that is festering if we don't hear about it. If problems persists with a member/guest and you all refuse to report then this is on you and the disease will only become septic (worse). 

• Like 2

Borscht   
Borscht

Honestly, whenever I see my group bloating up to 3+ people I start bring in worse gear. For example tonight I spent doing Factory runs with a SKS+PSO+PACA combo lol

Sgt_Sammy   
Sgt_Sammy
On 12/1/2017 at 5:41 PM, HighdefinitionHero said:

"It ruins the experience for other people and therefore i believe we should consider that impact we have on the community even Kotton bitched about UWS and how theres always full teams."

Please not this is my opinion and what goes through my head before running 5 man groups please let me know your opinion

As you stated, this is purely your opinion and everyone has that right..I will also give you mine. :)

As many have pointed out there are advantages and disadvantages to a 5 man group. Right off the bat Comms is a huge issue for me sometimes in 5 man groups (most of the time I have had great experiences). I was in a full Raid the other night and there was one person that I knew... Well lets just say the rest of the players in the raid were just straight up being annoying and the person that I knew kinda followed suit.. it was so bad that I had to drop out after the raid and find a new group..Instead of causing a scene I quickly went to "looking for group channel"... The funny thing is one of them followed me and asked me to come back.. I told him..just chillin for now...and he left.. Point in case... if you are frustrated with your current group, I don't care if it's a 2 man 5 man 20 man...if you are heated and frustrated,..take a break or if it's something you can't handle escalate to leadership.

I'm a pretty serious gamer and that just comes from a military background and real time war under my belt..I personally enjoy being in a serious raid and having excellent comms..Don't get me wrong , I like to laugh, have fun, and socialize but there is a time for that in specific parts of the raid where there is no firefights or the map is pretty much safe...Like many have stated on this post, everyone has a different story, background, game style, view of the world and I think this is what makes UWS so special, the diversity. If everyone had the same personality it would get boring and stale quick right? For me, I don't mind a random coming into a raid to fill up...That's one more body that is not purposely trying to kill you. If you get Team killed, oh well..it's going to happen..Especially once the larger city maps open up.. I have personally TK'd others (by mistake)...everyone has done it and we just need to learn from our mistakes. One tactic i want to share... Always give updates on your position or ask your team, what's your current position in lets say 3 story dorms. keep a constant flow of comms but do it in a orderly fashion when shit is going down or about to go down..

One last note.. I didn't wanna mention names but a huge shout out to Thomas... I have seen this dude grow since I've been in UWS... Good job man, and thank you for the key ring!

Edited by Sgt_Sammy
  • Like 2

HighdefinitionHero   
HighdefinitionHero
18 hours ago, Maverick V6 said:

Use caution with this as likely you will be complained about by the person whom was "TeamKilled".  I would suggest recording the event leading to this and then it would likely be justified. In any event, you should report your issues to a Sherpa/Captain/or myself. We can't surgically remove an abscess that is festering if we don't hear about it. If problems persists with a member/guest and you all refuse to report then this is on you and the disease will only become septic (worse). 

I get this but at the same time I think everyone wants to give someone the benefit of doubt especially newer players/members/guests but I do on occasion run names of any suspicious people past the more trusted members of the community to give me their feedback on that person and I think if its a running problem for everyone it will quickly become apparent. But we know you guys do your best to keep the community healthy! 

HighdefinitionHero   
HighdefinitionHero
On 03/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, Rin said:

Is it you try to keep it 3 man max due to what you described initially OR because of the communications clutter and you don't trust people etc, Tell us your fears we dont mind.

Did Bravo give you that gas analyser yet? :P

Rin   
Rin
21 minutes ago, HighdefinitionHero said:

Did Bravo give you that gas analyser yet? :P

Oh yes he did :D

HornyHornet   
HornyHornet

What i tend to do with this game is play with people i have played with for years. We have 5 man squads which can communicate and co-ordinate at all times because we all are on the same page. This comes down to the fact we have played DayZ together for a very long time. EFT is still new and the majority of people are new to either this game or game style. It will take time for people to understand the do's and dont to clear up the communications. :vaultboy1:

• Like 1