Sign in to follow this  
The Velvet Gentleman

Shotguns: My Own Analysis

The Velvet Gentleman   
The Velvet Gentleman

So after watching the video that I posted here I decided to take a few shotguns out to the range and test them properly. I was using the MP-133 with the longest barrel, and the shortest, choked, and unchoked. I decided to test them at approx 10 and 30 yards as those are the only ranges you should be using a shotgun. I fired a full 6 round magazine at a relaxed combat pace, only pausing to let the barrel reset on target. This is as close to a combat accurate test I can do. 

Ten Yards:

10_yrd_unchoked_analysis.thumb.jpg.0b64a9726b0625bc381879130302d2ac.jpg

10_yrd_choked_analysis.thumb.jpg.7c85a5091251869ac9f1fd64c60cd546.jpg

So the first thing to notice here is that the barrel makes very little difference. This is fairly accurate to real life. The second thing to notice is that the choke made a noticeable difference, but a negative one. This test was repeated with similar results (around a .5 inch increase or greater on the mean). I don't know why this could be, but at this range you're going to hit your target with either so it shouldn't matter too much. 

30 Yards:

30_yrd_unchoked.thumb.jpg.a0544779a4b2eda6027e0ccb768cee13.jpg

30_yrd_choked.thumb.jpg.4af33ed71e0e6c92578d31641d25db23.jpg

On this test I again found no difference in the barrel length; both barrels were fairly matched within the margins of random chance. However, the choke ceases to have an impact on the spread pattern. More on the choke later; I wanted to put the rest the idea that barrel length mattered so I fired 12 slugs out of each shotgun at 30 yards. 

30 Yards (slug test):

30_yrd_slugs.thumb.jpg.e0da3aaa1c664166778ab2d6cf5e4691.jpg

As you can see, the barrels are almost identical, as they are in real life.

"But wait, what about muzzle velocity?"

Well, powder burns fast in modern shotguns and peak muzzle velocity is achieved in the 500-600mm range. Adding more tube just provides a better sight plane. However, in-game there is a difference in muzzle velocity and recoil stats between all three barrel lengths, with the longest providing the greatest benefit. But this has no effect on shot pattern or slug accuracy.

Now, with the barrels out of the way, back to the choke. I decided to test the weirdness happening at 30 yards with the same shotgun. I would fire six shots, take off the choke, step to the left and reset. Here are three samples. 

30 Yards (same shotgun):

30_yard_1.thumb.jpg.ec935d02cadfdf042f6e77946be2b3f0.jpg30_yard_2.thumb.jpg.1d4b613713eef85be4d8918aca7d37ce.jpg30_yard_3.thumb.jpg.bae74263fed2ec5619950171b49331e2.jpg

As you can see, it has very little to no effect.

Why is this the case? Well the description of the choke in-game says that it provides the properties of a cylinder choke, yet that is not borne out in testing. This could be a feature gone wrong, but more interesting is the idea that it's a feature gone horribly right. Hunt around on gun-nut forums and you'll find many people claiming that this choke does absolutely nothing but appeal to the tacti-cool consumer. Bug or clever jab at Remington? You be the judge; just understand the facts. 

Conclusions and TLDR:

1. Barrel length has little to no effect on the spread or slug accuracy.

2. You shouldn't be using slugs. Just look at that spread even at 30 yards. (psst, I was prone)

3. The "tactical choke" has little to no effect on the spread. This could be bugged or intentional.

Given that shot pellets are best delivered up close and below the waist, muzzle velocity should not factor into your barrel choice. If you can handle the recoil, there's no reason not to go short and stubby to get around those corners. Here's a shot of my personal favorite shotgun (that isn't a Saiga). Note the tacti-cool choke and handgrip. 

boom.thumb.jpg.d6dff120c9fa00a4ddad8c0f5a6bbdb8.jpg

Thanks for watching, don't forget to hit that like button and subscribe while you're down there. I've been Velvet_Gentleman. Namaste. Happy hunting. Good luck out there. Peace. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maverick V6   
Maverick V6

Awesome job man! 

rustyneedle_uk   
rustyneedle_uk

lmao "love it" standing ovation "oncore oncore!"

seriously good job and keep them coming mate

Maverick V6   
Maverick V6

The Velvet Gentleman   
The Velvet Gentleman
Posted (edited)

Don't listen to his lies! The shorter barrel had no choke and its pattern looked just as bad as the long barrel with the unrestricted choke. I do like his videos for a some good gun fun though. 

I wish I could do more testing like this but without decent targets or even basic range firing gear (a bipod would be nice) it's pretty hard to test anything other than shotguns. I was considering using the walls between rooms in dorms for penetration testing but object penetration is most likely handled by a completely different algorithm than armor penetration so it wouldn't have shown much. But if you guys think of something that you think would be possible to test, let me know. I have a lot of free time. A lot.

Edited by The Velvet Gentleman
A lot.

Darksword23   
Darksword23

This is some very good info. I think that the long barrel choked will fit my playstyle very well. 

Darksword23   
Darksword23
On 6/21/2017 at 1:20 PM, Maverick V6 said:

Love watching this guy, some of his videos are actually very interesting. But, i just watch most of them that are videos of him screwing off.

The Velvet Gentleman   
The Velvet Gentleman

Just in case anybody was wondering if the latest slew of updates changed slug behavior...

slugs.thumb.jpg.4c3ac841266875ef8921f45a43e64a60.jpg

they haven't. These shots were taken at the о in 'вход' at roughly 15 yards.

Krevan   
Krevan

The hero we deserve! Thanks for the post. Good to know ahead of time.

The Velvet Gentleman   
The Velvet Gentleman

I heard rumors that slugs were fixed in the latest patch. Maybe you've heard the same. They can punch through PACA now and drop a man with two shots to the torso, but did they fix accuracy. 

Same distance, same target. 

59ffa12f22107_2017-11-0515-37_-197_82.4-117.2_0.0-0_70_00.7(0).png.5eb54749a39f2693ebd13e9d1c90028f.png

Conclusion:

Stick with buckshot. Despite claims, it's still deadly in the right hands. Get close, aim for the head or limbs, and don't stop shooting until you smell voided bowels. 

DeathScythe   
DeathScythe

https://tarkovballistics.blogspot.ca/

A neat little re-source i found with surfing the forums.

Goes into a lot of the ammo and its dmg's