Bison

Want to upgrade CPU

Bison   
Bison

I have been wanting to upgrade my pc in the past few months but I'm not sure which cpu to get. I don't want to spend a fortune so I am thinking about an i5 6600 or 7600k. If yall could help me decide or give me any other suggestions that would be great.

Thanks!

SkullCracker   
SkullCracker

AMD is just fine and would buy either a 1600x or even a 1700x. AMD is making a comeback and soon will take over the thrown and be king of the CPU and GPU market. And AMD for the price is still amazing.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113434

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113429&cm_re=1700X-_-19-113-429-_-Product

• Like 1

SkullCracker   
SkullCracker

And I like my Intel but I'm one who sees things for what they are. And for years AMD has been looking up at the Intel and Nvidia. Those days are over and you'll start seeing future games running better on AMD and not Nvidia. Intel screwed themselves with the I9 and they'll pay for it. Nvidia is focusing on the wrong things that no one will want and that lets AMD show all of us what's up.

Be a smart person and build AMD and be happy.

Bison   
Bison
Posted (edited)

So turns out if I wanted to upgrade my CPU, I would need to change out my motherboard (according to pcpartpicker.com). Now I'm not sure if anything else I have will work on another motherboard, but what's the best way to find that out? Oh, and I currently have an i7 2600s. Thanks

Edited by Bison

Rin   
Rin

If you upgrade your mobo u might end up upgrading your Ram too :/ I know that feeling.

CPU, MOBO, Ram, PSU those are the things i would look into.

You know with the CPU you have to change MOBO now check two more things, If your Mobo supports the rams you have and if your PSU works with your whole system.

JellyDonuts   
JellyDonuts

Just helped a buddy build his first PC,,,,,Ryzen 1700 with a GTX 1080ti.  Dude......beast mode!  He wants to  start streaming, so Ryzen is perfect for him!  

I can't agree more with Skull.....AMD is the future right now.   I'm running a 4790k @ 4.7GHz with an R9 290, so I don't pick sides.  Ryzen is where it's at right now!

• Like 1

Bison   
Bison

So turns out my RAM, PSU, and motherboard are not compatible with the any of the CPU's that I want. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

ProphetBeal   
ProphetBeal
3 hours ago, Bison said:

So turns out my RAM, PSU, and motherboard are not compatible with the any of the CPU's that I want. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Unfortunately you'll have to do a full upgrade meaning new CPU, RAM and motherboard. The PSU may still be re-usable depending on model and Wattage.

Now if I recall correctly the i7 2600 was at least DDR3 RAM, so there are a some limited options if you wanted to keep your RAM, but you'd still need a new MB and CPU. You'd be buying a CPU/MB that's at least 3 years old for example the i7 4790 as those where the last Intel CPUs that supported DDR3.  

Bison   
Bison

Thanks for all the replies! 

I think I'm gonna go with the Ryzen 5 1600x for the processor and just work around that unless anyone can sell me on why the "x" isn't necessary. 

SkullCracker   
SkullCracker
37 minutes ago, Bison said:

Thanks for all the replies! 

I think I'm gonna go with the Ryzen 5 1600x for the processor and just work around that unless anyone can sell me on why the "x" isn't necessary. 

Watch and you'll get your answer. Enjoy your new build when it's done.

SkullCracker   
SkullCracker

And use G.Skill memory. They make the best memory and is what I've used for years and I only use the best of everything.....that's just me.

ScubaSteve82103   
ScubaSteve82103

I personally think the i7 2600 is still a very capable processor. If you want more speed, OC it a bit. What are the rest of your computer specs? 

Bison   
Bison
Posted (edited)

16 GBs of DDR3, GTX 970

I'm mainly want to upgrade CPU because around christmas I want to get a new graphics card

Edited by Bison

Rin   
Rin

G.Skill is really good. My signature has my build.

XpRsSn   
XpRsSn
On 5-7-2017 at 3:42 AM, SkullCracker said:

And use G.Skill memory. They make the best memory and is what I've used for years and I only use the best of everything.....that's just me.

*cough*CORSAIR*cough*

But if you are going to get a new CPU always go for mono and ram... It's somewhat of a unity you can't do individually. 

I have really looked in to the bitching about the i9. But I'll never do AMD. Went from AMD to Nvidia and I won't change back... 

And for coolers, ram, psu's and other things I mainly go Corsair and MSI. Sometimes ASUS. 

SkullCracker   
SkullCracker
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, XpRsSn said:

*cough*CORSAIR*cough*

But if you are going to get a new CPU always go for mono and ram... It's somewhat of a unity you can't do individually. 

I have really looked in to the bitching about the i9. But I'll never do AMD. Went from AMD to Nvidia and I won't change back... 

And for coolers, ram, psu's and other things I mainly go Corsair and MSI. Sometimes ASUS. 

Everyone has there particular brand they like which is fine for the average user. But I've been building and even sold PC stuff many years ago and still build today for people. I've used almost every brand out there and even tested stuff for some companies. The ones I use today are those who have a long history of being the best and amazing customer support. Now I'm no fan of Corsair and for many good reasons. Nothing but issue after issue with all of the products except one, their keyboards. I use the K70 and the wife uses the K80 and they both rock.

And why no AMD, I must ask because with anything in this world you buy the best because it only makes sense. Intel isn't the future and almost all games from here on out will run better on AMD. Consoles run on AMD and that's not changing. Developers make games that are being made mainly for console first and PC after that. That means the games are designed to run better on AMD. Now I'm no fan boy of any company. I just know that when I build I use the best that's available, except Corsair.....lots of bad blood there. Only thing I'm a fan boy of is Chevy cars and trucks. Not the new stuff but older ones and that will never change.

PC stuff, I like these companies.

AMD ...... is where it's at.

INTEL

EVGA

ASUS

ASRock

G.SKILL

NZXT

LOGITECH

DUCKY KEYBOARDS.....KICK ASS BOARDS. http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/en/

But always use what you like. I'm going off my many years of doing this and being involved with a few of the companies.

I have more but why list everyone of them.

Edited by SkullCracker

XpRsSn   
XpRsSn

I've ran AMD GPU's till last year. I bought a GTX980ti back then. And AMD always seems second grade for me on the CPU part. I build my own PC's and do a lot of research on what parts to use for what end and within what budget. And whilst I was putting this build together Intel seemed better than AMD did. Same goes for Nvidia. I do think this will always remain some sort of a fanboy thing. Like Playstation vs Xbox...

The build I have at the moment is mostly Corsair (Case, PSU, CPU cooler, RAM and fans) Msi (socket and GPU) and ofc Intel CPU. Not so long ago I bought an ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR monitor. And yes the K70 is amazing together with the M65 mouse.

My next build might be AMD tho. Like I said before, I haven't done any research on the i9 and the Ryzen because I have a build right now. Still, might swap out my i5 6600k for an i7 that fits my current socket. But for future builds I might knock on your door for some info :)

• Like 1