Snow

Siege Community

Snow   
Snow

So it has been brought to my attention that some members have been having issues with others but are too intimidated to speak to an admin or captain about it, if you are having an issue with someone please send me, @VertigoElation or @ScubaSteve82103 a PM and we will see what can be done to resolve this issues of bullying or general dickishness. In the future please come to me first to stop any kind of issue from turning into gossip or hearsay that someone else tells me about.

• Like 6

Chop_Sticks   
Chop_Sticks

what if i have an issue with your face?

VertigoElation   
VertigoElation

What Snow said.

This is an adult clan.  Act like it.  If you can't, don't, or won't = bye.  Find another clan.  I do this for fun, not to deal with idiots.

We are all here to have fun.  However, your right to fun does not mean you have the right to stop someone else from having fun.  I've had players come to me because certain members are acting like ass hats.  I take that complaint, discuss with the person leveraging said complaint, tell them what my plan of action is, talk to the person who is acting like an ass, and inform them of whats going to happen.

Typically, the person who was acting like an ass knows it.  In which case, they say they are sorry and won't do it again.  I tell them that further actions of a similar nature will result in more harsh penalties and we all move on with our lives.  Snow, Steve, and myself all talk.  So repeat offenses do get noticed.

While I know Chop is joking above, I'm going to take it as a hypothetical real quick.  If you have a problem with Snow, Scubasteve, or myself...  Tell someone.  Captains can pull crap just like everyone else.  Sometimes we get our panties in a bunch and take it out on players.  We're human.  But your complaints will be taken seriously.

• Like 4

Colt51   
Colt51

It's me isn't it, I know, I talk waaay to much in TS......

Ok, seriously though, I just want to completely overstep my bounds and throw a couple things out there.  In my experience as a supervisor and, more importantly, as a human being in general I've found the following to be true.  

One, more often than not the person doing whatever is bugging you likely has no idea that it bothers you.  Most of the time if you let them know in a respectful manner (re-read that last bit a few times, it's important.....no, go on, I'll wait) they'll stop. Furthermore they'll likely end up thankful that you spoke with them about it (again provided that bit about being respectful sunk in).  

Two, when I say I was a supervisor I mean I was a shift sergeant for an armed security agency that specialized in section 8 housing complexes (aka the projects).  We carried guns, we had full arrest authority, and we dealt with more drugs, gangs, fights, and domestic shit than our local PD did.  It was a job that often involved dealing with aggression, violence, and general shittyness.  By nature it was a job that attracted and fostered people (mostly guys, statistically speaking) with an alpha male "tough guy" mentality.  Shit talking was our language, plain and simple, just like it is in many "alpha" type settings.  We trash talked, we dished it out and took it on a regular basis and we all felt the need to take it like a tough guy.  Problem is when somebody crosses a line nobody wants to say anything about it for fear of looking weak or sensitive.  Before you know it you've got serious morale damage on your hands all because some alpha male egos would not allow someone to say "hey, that hurts dude, seriously." without feeling like an outcast.  As a sergeant I ended up having to deal with these situations (unlike Vert, Steve, and Snow I actually got paid for it, it still sucked), usually well after said serious morale damage had been done, all because someone didn't want to look weak in front of "the guys".  Fact is it takes far more strength to say something than it does to keep bottling it up.  Don't rag on a guy for standing up for himself, respect it.  

Now a gaming group doesn't have nearly the weight riding on it that any job involving a firearm does.  Any of the Vets on here can easily explain that.  Also, speaking of Vets, they can trash talk better than any of us yet I'm willing to bet they aren't the problem, there's a reason for that (they can easily explain that too).  That being said ANY competitive environment, and Siege is definitely competitive, tends to foster that same adrenaline fueled alpha male mindset.  We all talk trash sometimes (even me who rarely speaks) and we all take it and try to keep a stiff upper lip.  That's all well and good, but, we need to try to recognize when "ribbing" crosses a line and becomes corrosive.  We also need to allow people to express when a line has been crossed without them feeling like they'll be ostracized.  The Capts are doing their part on this, as they should, but we the rank and file need to follow their lead.  If somebody tells you that your words or behavior toward them are actually hurting take a step back and try to focus on what's really important.  Focus on the fact that they had the stones to say something to you directly instead of playing the rumors and backstab game.  Think about the fact that someone, somewhere, at some point did the same to you (cause it's happened to all of us at some point) and how you would have wanted them to react.  If anything, focus on the fact that, as Vert pointed out, we're all here to have fun, that's it, end of story.  THIS IS A GAME, there's no money changing hands, there's no actual hostage to rescue, none of us are "pro".  At the end of the night if somebody sucks and cost you a trip from plat to gold then woop-de-@#$%ing-do, your life didn't change one bit, no need to shun them or shit talk them in another channel (here's a radical thought, maybe try coaching them a little).  Focus on all of that and try to empathize with them, just a little.  Finally, if you really truly can't play with someone then simply don't play with them, period.  There are multiple TS channels to switch to and plenty of people to play with.  There is no need to try to push them out or pull everyone else to "your side".  That's a dick move.  End of story.  

Ok, serious rant over, I promise.  I'll go back to being the quiet guy in TS who couldn't carry a tune, much less a team, now.  Final thought, I'll play with anyone here, anytime.  I love this group, in the short time I've been here I've had way more fun and camaraderie than at any other gaming community.  This is a good thing here, it's up to all of us to not @#$% it up. 

--Colt

• Like 2

VertigoElation   
VertigoElation
1 hour ago, Colt51 said:

As a sergeant I ended up having to deal with these situations (unlike Vert, Steve, and Snow I actually got paid for it, it still sucked)

I'm in the military.  I've made it high enough up the ranks I'm paid to do that as well.  Steve too.

Colt51   
Colt51

My point was an attempt to highlight the fact that dealing with this shit sucks as a paid job, dealing with it on your off time unpaid is an extra special suckfest.  If you guys are getting it on both ends then I really don't envy you.  I respect the hell out of you, but I don't envy you.

Arbiter   
Arbiter
4 minutes ago, Colt51 said:

My point was an attempt to highlight the fact that dealing with this shit sucks as a paid job, dealing with it on your off time unpaid is an extra special suckfest.  If you guys are getting it on both ends then I really don't envy you.  I respect the hell out of you, but I don't envy you.

Its a simple policy:

Play the game, Stop causing extra work to management or fuck off to another place. But most importantly realize you are talking to People and they have feelings... Even in the army nobody wanted to put up with that shit indeed, Everyone wants to do their job and then go safe home to their family, Base has a dedicated psychiatrist that is there for this kind of shit... Unfortunately we are not the army so lets play our game and have some fun.

You want to be a pro, perfect. This is not the place for you go sign up to one of the clans that belong to professional competition sites. But if you stay here you need to understand the following,
Good or bad we have people here that are exceptional in games and others that are not... I will not blame someone that i lost a ranked game because he is bad as i would expect him to not blame me when we lose because i played bad.

Everyone in here comes in one piece and they should return back to their families after they played some games with us sane and happy... Not miserable etc... Why would you want to make anyone feel bad or worse.

In the end of the day joking and all is fine as long as you do not cross the line and sometimes its hard to miss. But treat others the way you would like to be treated (sorry no fetishes or S&M accepted those are personal preferences and we don't want to know if you would like to take it up your arse...)

• Like 2

BlackSwan   
BlackSwan

Well shit, what happen while I've been gone?

• Like 1

ProphetBeal   
ProphetBeal
On 3/18/2017 at 9:01 PM, BlackSwan said:

Well shit, what happen while I've been gone?

You've been missed...They need you to kick some ass and get them all in line