MasterReach

Tips On Improving Internet Connection

MasterReach

So ever since I moved into my new apartment I've been trying to find ways to improve my internet connection while not being able to access the apartments router so I can use the my ethernet cable leaving me stuck gaming on WiFi.  (This has been sucking ass and has also been the reason why I haven't been able to play online as much anymore.) I get issues like from having 50 ping and shooting up to 150 and staying that way or just lose internet connection all together for hours on end while everyone else is still using the wifi without any issues. If anyone has any advice to give on how to fix this issue so I'm not lagging my ass off all the time it would be greatly appreciated because so far nothing I've been doing has helped in any way😅

ranchitup

What's your setup? Who's your ISP and what's the connection speed? Is this a shared connection/internet utility with other apartment residents? Also, what equipment are you using to connect to? Are you using an ISP provided router/modem or your own equipment? Regardless, apartments are notorious for crowded wifi frequencies and securing a hard wired ethernet connection would be the easiest and best option for a more stable connection.

MasterReach
On 9/12/2020 at 9:45 PM, ranchitup said:

What's your setup? Who's your ISP and what's the connection speed? Is this a shared connection/internet utility with other apartment residents? Also, what equipment are you using to connect to? Are you using an ISP provided router/modem or your own equipment? Regardless, apartments are notorious for crowded wifi frequencies and securing a hard wired ethernet connection would be the easiest and best option for a more stable connection.

I have my computer setup in the upstairs with the router being downstairs in the living room as for my ISP we use Spectrum and I'll have to look over to see what my connection speeds are more accurately cause I don't know the numbers off the top of my head.. The router itself I know was bought by one of my roommates  3 years ago and I use a USB WiFi Adapter 1900Mbps Dual Band USB 3.0 WiFi Dongle which was recommended to me by one of my local friends who understands computers alot better than me. Finally as far as I know the internet is a utility and I have 2 others who use the internet but honestly not a whole lot during the afternoons when I'm home from work other than streaming videos off of YouTube and Netflix. 

MrCummyFingers

Does you ping tend to skyrocket the same time eachnight? if so call your isp and complain and that seems to help.my isp used to throttle me after 7pm everynight until i started to make a fuss and it magically stopped. They claimed they were not throttling me and have no idea why this would happen but like i said after 3-4 calls boom steady ping 24/7 . But i would recommend going wired with a Cat 6 cable if possible.

MasterReach
19 hours ago, MrCummyFingers said:

Does you ping tend to skyrocket the same time eachnight? if so call your isp and complain and that seems to help.my isp used to throttle me after 7pm everynight until i started to make a fuss and it magically stopped. They claimed they were not throttling me and have no idea why this would happen but like i said after 3-4 calls boom steady ping 24/7 . But i would recommend going wired with a Cat 6 cable if possible.

my ping does tend to skyrocket but not too often I've had only one recent issues when it went from 50 ping to 150 making playing call of duty pretty much unplayable for me then shortly after my internet went out for the computer.