Drizzit1aa

CPU Removal

Drizzit1aa

How hard and how do I remove my CPU? Special tool to pull it out evenly?

rustyneedle_uk

Its easy mate 

what type of CPU and ill get you a video of doing it,

Just protect the pins, be them on the motherboard or on the cpu depending on brand

Be gentel! do not force anything!

1. Prepare work area, including wearing a static bracelet (advised)
  2. Remove heat sink.
  3. Clean thermal paste off using towelling and a small amount of alcohol
  4. Un-tighten or remove CPU holding bracket,
  5. Left CPU evenly away from the motherboard (be gentle) Place CPU face down onto a surface or into the CPU protective cover.

Its easy IMO but understand its at your risk and there are risks if you do things wrong or bend pins. So be careful. I don't mind being in discord call while you do this to talk you through it 🙂

If you do screw up and bend pins or drop it or what ever. Don't try to fix this your self. YOU will make it worse and there are vendors out there that will repair them really cheaply 🙂

Watch the vid below its pretty decent.

• Like 1

rustyneedle_uk

TonyMontana

Why are you taking it out? Are you replacing it?

I've done this 3 times in the last year here is my process.

1. Unhook PC from power.

2. Get a nice clean microfiber cloth and some isopropyl alcohol. 

3. Depending on CPU socket, you probably WON'T need a special tool. If you go into your computer and click on the Windows button in lower left and then click System, it will show your processor. Then you can google the socket type for the processor to confirm.  Remove the CPU from the socket, place it pins up so it doesnt get damaged while it is out of the socket.

If you are just removing it stop here.

Replacing it...you would then want to clean the thermal paste off the OLD cpu and from around the socket on the board, using the microfiber cloth and a bit of ISO.

You would then gently place the new CPU in the old socket (assuming you already thermal pasted the new CPU) and close the socket.

Ackelby

As a side note to this thread, if replacing a CPU and or adding a new cpu to a new motherboard, make sure that the alignment pins line up.  AMD chips have the pins on the processor and have a little gold corner in the shape of a triangle, the motherboard has the female version of this configuration.  Most Intel chips the pins are on the motherboard, and have the same alignment triangle.  When placing the chip(s) into the motherboard they should drop right into place, no pressure needed.

• Like 1

Drizzit1aa
Posted (edited)

This my shorted out system. (first entry) https://forums.uwsgaming.com/topic/11176-present-your-gaming-rigs-and-be-proud/?tab=comments#comment-49901 my custom loop sprung a small leak and fried (released its' inner smoke) one of my 1080ti's once it seeped into the PCIe slot. Since I am not going to take the chance on screwing anything else up I am going to replace the MOBO and add an air cooler to the CPU. This is what I am looking at buying. 

Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2X NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans (Brown)

ARCTIC MX-4 - Thermal Compound Paste For Coolers | Heat Sink Paste | Composed of Carbon Micro-particles | Easy to Apply | High Durability - 4 Grams

ASUS ROG Maximus IX Apex Motherboard(Aura Sync RGB LEDs, DDR4 4266MHz, DIMM.2 dual M.2 expansion card, and USB Type-A/C)

or 

ASUS ROG Maximus IX Extreme LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 Z270 EATX Motherboard with onboard AC Wifi

Seems like the extreme has more than the apex and it's cheaper?

Edited by Drizzit1aa