Sign in to follow this  
Celticbane

Graffs card upgrade

Celticbane
Posted (edited)

Hey all!!, im wanting to upgrade my graffs card have Geforce 1050 i in it right now. I have 300 bucks budget.

my power supply is only 450 watts,So im guessing going to have change that out to,750 watts or more?

So with only 300 bucks, what card & power supply would you recommend? Im a Geforce guy, always have been, 

still have my old Geforce  6800 gt  in my closet lol.Heres my specs.

Intel Core i5 8400 (6-Core/6-Thread, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz w/Intel TB Technology), 8GB DDR4 2666MHz (8Gx1), NVIDIA Gtx1050Ti, 1TB SATA 7200RPM HDD

Edited by Celticbane

Nemanski
3 hours ago, Celticbane said:

Hey all!!, im wanting to upgrade my graffs card have Geforce 1050 i in it right now. I have 300 bucks budget.

my power supply is only 450 watts,So im guessing going to have change that out to,750 watts or more?

So with only 300 bucks, what card & power supply would you recommend? Im a Geforce guy, always have been, 

still have my old Geforce  6800 gt  in my closet lol.Heres my specs.

Intel Core i5 8400 (6-Core/6-Thread, 9MB Cache, up to 4GHz w/Intel TB Technology), 8GB DDR4 2666MHz (8Gx1), NVIDIA Gtx1050Ti, 1TB SATA 7200RPM HDD

Hi there, Well you can have a look on Tomshardware, an good site for uppgrading tips. In that range you will probably get an GTX 1060 with 6GB. Is it worh it nah, I would rather go for an AMD card with 8GB Ram. You have the RX590 card thats really good. I my self have an RX 570, 4GB card and can run the new games without any problems. 

Hellsaber

if you could raise your budget alittle bit i would recommend the 2060 super, its a hell of a step up from a 590 same upgrade i did, i dont think theres really anything in between that are really worth the price.

maniacalwombat

I upgraded on a budget when my 1070 died on me.  I ended up getting a GTX 1660.  They can be got for around $200 if you shop around.  I OC'd mine just a little and the performance is almost up to par with my old 1070.  I can play at 1440p with most games staying well above 60fps.  You could get one of those with a 650 watt EVGA 650 B5 on Newegg.com for around $300.

• Like 1

Celticbane

Thanks guys! Shout out @ maniacalwombat, 1660 will  do , ty

• Thanks 1

TeXx

Don't waste money on a 750 watt anything. Even with a 2080 super the Nvidia recommended PSU is 550w. Upgrading to 750 watts will not only be overkill but money you could put toward the GPU. If you are upgrading right now I would highly suggest getting a RTX 2000 series card. You would want something somewhat future proof since the 3000 series is coming out soon.

While the 1660 is a good card, it is starting to see its age a little bit when more games are supporting the RTX drivers more heavily. I guess what I'm saying is that if you buy an older card now you are going to have to upgrade much sooner, but if you drop maybe another 100 or 200 bucks you can get a card that will last you a couple years. Personally I would recommend a 2060 super for under $350 and a 500 or 550 watt PSU.

• Like 2

Celticbane
7 hours ago, TeXx said:

Don't waste money on a 750 watt anything. Even with a 2080 super the Nvidia recommended PSU is 550w. Upgrading to 750 watts will not only be overkill but money you could put toward the GPU. If you are upgrading right now I would highly suggest getting a RTX 2000 series card. You would want something somewhat future proof since the 3000 series is coming out soon.

While the 1660 is a good card, it is starting to see its age a little bit when more games are supporting the RTX drivers more heavily. I guess what I'm saying is that if you buy an older card now you are going to have to upgrade much sooner, but if you drop maybe another 100 or 200 bucks you can get a card that will last you a couple years. Personally I would recommend a 2060 super for under $350 and a 500 or 550 watt PSU.

Ty for the info, ya your right,makes sense why waste money on a older card,ill just save up, it will be worth  the wait.

maniacalwombat

@TeXx has some good advice.  I've been running my rig on a EVGA 650 G2 for over three years without any issues (other than the card dying as mentioned above) and I have both my CPU and GPU OC'd.  Unless you're doing some crazy OC'ing and running multiple GPUs with all the bells and whistles, you don't need to go any higher than 700 watts.  He's also right about the card being a step behind the 20 series, but if you're strapped for cash, and especially if you game at 1080p, you'll still get some good life out of a 16 series card.  As I said, I'm playing at 1440p and the card is holding up just fine.  It might not have ray tracing capability, but not many games are using it right now so I'm not missing out on much.  Granted, as new games start to take advantage the older 10 and 16 series cards will become outdated but it will be a few years before the older GTX cards are obsolete.  So I guess it depends on how badly you want/need to upgrade and whether or not you'll be able to increase your budget.  If you can afford to wait, save up for that 2060 but if you need it soon, the 1660 is still a safe option.

• Like 1