Sign in to follow this  
Sgt_Wrx

Internet why you no be fast

Sgt_Wrx

Hey all got a puzzle I'm trying to solve. 

I recently upgraded my interwebs from 300 mbps to Gigabyte internet. I have my computer hooked up via hardline with a cat 6 cable. When I plug my computer directly into my modem I can consistently get 950 mbps download speeds. But when I hook into my router I can only seem to get between 300-400 download. I've updated my firmware on my router, made sure I'm running cat 6 cables only, and I double checked and my router is capable of 1300 Mbps download speeds.

My router is a Netgear AC 1750 and my modem came from the cable company. Trying to see if there is any solutions I'm overlooking before I go and drop a few hundred dollars on a fancy pants router. I tried calling Netgear but apparently after 6 months of owning the product you have to pay for customer service... 

QuickStrike

I found this post in the Netgear forums. It probably applies to your router.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-Nighawk-Internet-speed-limited/m-p/1464641#M76135

Vex

@Sgt_Wrx

I would agree with @QuickStrike here, It may very well be some settings inside your router. I had this issue a few years back and a simple factory reset fixed mine when i had Google Fiber. There are some more in depth settings you can mess with in terms of traffic control and traffic limiting in a lot of the new routers now. 

Have you tried any of the stuff listed above yet? 

Sgt_Wrx

I went through and tried those suggestions. Still no change sadly. 

QuickStrike
Posted (edited)

The factory reset should have changed any settings that would be causing the problem so the router may have a hardware issue. If you are feeling adventurous, you could try installing open source firmware on the router as a last resort. The most popular one is DD-WRT. There are versions of it for many router brands and models. Go to the website and search for your router's make and model to download the firmware for it.

https://dd-wrt.com/

Edited by QuickStrike

Sgt_Wrx

Sadly I'm not a software person and I feel I'd create more problems than solving if I start going in and messing with settings.. I'm one of those buy nice equipment and hope it works type people... I need to do my research and find a solution. I checked this evening and even hard wired I'm only getting 172 mpbs download when I'm paying for 1GB. Not very happy at the moment. Almost tempted to buy one of those fancy gaming routers to see if that solves the problem. 

Sgt_Wrx

found my problem and my solution. It was my router. 

My old router was the ac1750 and just wasn't up to the task of Gigabit internet. Went and bought the 

Netgear Nighthawk AX8 and now I'm consistently getting 950mpbs download on both wifi and ethernet. 

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-8-Stream-AX6000-Router/dp/B01MQDZXA4/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9qCy0Mmz4wIVh5-fCh3USAKkEAAYASAAEgIe-vD_BwE&hvadid=318306723046&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030030&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17519451744890864200&hvtargid=aud-647006051489%3Akwd-584249796478&hydadcr=24138_11044906&keywords=netgear+nighthawk+ax8&qid=1563078624&s=gateway&sr=8-1