Sign in to follow this  
QuickStrike

Upcoming Ryzen 3000 series CPU's could be beastly!

0xygenthief

I will be buying one to slap into a new streaming rig (wife's PC - NDI from my gaming rig).  I was considering upgrading my gaming rig's 1700X to one of these, but don't think I will now.  It was leaked early on that 5Ghz was in the realm of possibilities.  Now that I see AMD is still limited to the low 4Ghz range it means Intel will still be the reigning champion for games (albeit by a very small margin).

0xygenthief

Storm's a comin'

12 cores 24 threads under $500 but the biggest news is the buy-in from all of the motherboard manufacturers.  No more awesome cpus paired with crap motherboards that can't overclock worth a shit.

Only downside is the lack of the mystery 3950X 16/32 beast that has been leaked.  Likely AMD is keeping this one locked up in anticipation of Intel's poor excuse of a response.  My guess is that the 3950 will be released later this year before black friday around the same time as their threadripper update.

Wife will be happy with her 3900X...

QuickStrike

I am very impressed with AMD's mainstream offerings. It will be interesting to see how much market share they take from Intel with Zen 2.

0xygenthief
6 hours ago, Trunkz Jr said:

but I have a 1080gtx, my computer is like 

Let-These-Guys-Be-The-Reminder-To-Never-

I actually sprayed some coffee on my monitor as I scrolled to this, LOL.

• Haha 1

0xygenthief

This image below is exactly why Ryzen is going into my wife's workstation and I'm going to use it as an NDI streaming rig.  Quality between SLOW and FAST presets (Nvenc is equivalent to fast preset) is enormous!

amd_ryzen_3000_horizon_next__lisa_su_e3_

QuickStrike

Those extra cores make a big difference. With this CPU, you don't need a separate streaming computer.

0xygenthief

Technically you don't need one with the current Ryzen lineup.  8 cores is plenty if you want to stream and play at average quality.  The additional cores allows streamers to increase the quality from the fast/faster preset (similar to the Nvidia nvenc codec) down to the slow preset.  Reviews of the current threadripper lineup with 16 cores show it to be capable of the slower preset meaning highest quality.  However, at the slow preset memory is maxed out and so is CPU usage.  The slow preset is buttery smooth though.  If the 3900x can handle the slow preset, as advertised, I will be a happy camper.

For those wanting to stream and play on the 3900x you will likely have to compromise a bit and settle on the medium preset.