Drizzit1aa

Laptop Stupid

Drizzit1aa

I want to upgrade this laptop to the max. What do I need to that end? The Memory is easy enough, PSU, GPU, Storage, extra battery cap.. Any help would be … well helpful. heh.

ASUS recommends Windows 10 Pro.
  • Processor
    Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor,
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 Pro
  • Memory
    DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, up to 64 G, (16 GB x 4)

• Display
    17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) Non-Glare LCD Panel
  • Graphic
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX970M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • Storage
    2.5" SATA3*1
    - 500GB HDD 5400/7200 RPM
    - 1TB HDD 5400/7200 RPM
    - 2TB HDD 5400 RPM
    PCIE x 4 256G / 512G
  • Optical Drive
    Blu-Ray DVD Combo (On selected models)
    Super-Multi DVD (On selected models)
    Blue-ray Writer (On selected models)
  • Card Reader
    2 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ SDXC)
  • Camera
    HD Web Camera *1
  • Networking
    Integrated 802.11 ac or 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
    Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0+HS *1
    10/100/1000/Gigabits Base T
  • Interface
    Headphone / surround out
    1 x Microphone-in jack
    1 x Headphone-out jack (SPDIF)
    1 x Type C USB3.0 (USB3.1 GEN1) Thunderbolt
    4 x USB 3.0 port(s)
    1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    1 x HDMI
    1 x mini Display Port
    1 x SD card reader
  • Audio
    Built-in Speakers And Array Microphone
    ASUS SonicMaster Technology
    Built-in subwoofer
  • Battery
    6Cells 67 Whrs
  • Power Adapter
    Plug Type :ø5.5 (mm)
    Output :
    19 V DC, 9.5 A, 180 W
    Input :
    100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
  • Dimensions
    428 x 333 x 23 ~43 mm (WxDxH)
  • Weight
    4.04 kg (with 6 cell battery)
  • Security
    Kensington lock
    BIOS Booting User Password Protection
    HDD User Password Protection and Security

muskie

If you are spec'ing out a new computer, you can most likely select a more modern GPU / CPU, but if you already have it, you will have a hard time upgrading some of the components. The ram / SSD's / HDD's wont be a problem to upgrade, but Asus laptops are typically BGA, meaning the GPU / CPU are soldered to the motherboard, making  their upgrade impossible. For future purchases on gaming laptops i'd suggest Sigma or MSI, who do not use BGA boards, and their components are many times replaceable. 

Drizzit1aa

Already have it just wanted to upgrade it for 3D CAD reasons. Wasn't aware of the soldered in components, that's a pain. Guess I understand the reasoning, it would be more power efficient like that. As for imposable, ... as long as the pins aren't proprietary to the MOBO I have a soldering iron and a solder sucker. lol (More than likely wouldn't though) The biggest GPU I could find was a GTX 980M on NVIDIA'S website, figured there should be something bigger than that.  I didn't think there would be a Quadro or Titan grade of graphical power to put in it just something better than what's in it.

Yes, and to play Atlas, which it does without a hitch mister @Trunkz Jr  😛 Course it kills the battery in 30 minutes which sucks so I have to keep it plugged in. (which is why I mentioned what battery pack would work.) I feed the bears at work with it using the hotspot off my phone for internet (which does suck, but my home network is great). They wouldn't let me on their wifi. Said it was because they have Military Contracts, (my butt) like I'm too stupid to know they could set up a guest link, but hey it's their network.

xEvinous
10 hours ago, Drizzit1aa said:

Wasn't aware of the soldered in components, that's a pain. Guess I understand the reasoning, it would be more power efficient like that. As for imposable, ... as long as the pins aren't proprietary to the MOBO I have a soldering iron and a solder sucker. lol (More than likely wouldn't though)

Unless you have a lot of experience with soldiering or more specifically upgrading laptops or building PCs, I really wouldn't suggest trying to upgrade a laptop. They specifically build them so it's hard/impossible to upgrade, hoping people will just shell out $1000 on an upgrade. From my experience, unless you know 100% what you're doing, you'll just end up with a dead laptop and components if you try to upgrade. I used to have a laptop and specifically decided to build my own PC because of this.

Drizzit1aa

Been a welder for 36 years and have rewired inverters which included changing wires on the PCB, changed out soldered in reastats and diods, but never a laptop.

muskie
On 5/15/2019 at 7:40 PM, Drizzit1aa said:

Already have it just wanted to upgrade it for 3D CAD reasons. Wasn't aware of the soldered in components, that's a pain. Guess I understand the reasoning, it would be more power efficient like that. As for imposable, ... as long as the pins aren't proprietary to the MOBO I have a soldering iron and a solder sucker. lol (More than likely wouldn't though) The biggest GPU I could find was a GTX 980M on NVIDIA'S website, figured there should be something bigger than that.  I didn't think there would be a Quadro or Titan grade of graphical power to put in it just something better than what's in it.

As far as I am aware, no one has successfully done an internal  gpu upgrade on your laptop. Maybe looking into a external GPU would be a better option for you if you want to keep the same laptop in the long term.