Creature

Any recommended CPUs?

Creature

So, my computer currently has a FX-6100 CPU and it's starting to finally struggle with games. I'm looking to upgrade, but I don't know whether to save up longer to go to DDR4 based system, or to get a used 4790k or 4770k. If anyone's recently upgraded and has any recommendations, AMD or Intel, on what route to upgrade, drop some tips. Thanks!

maniacalwombat

I would recommend going with a ddr4 system if you can afford it.  A used 4790/4770 will still need a compatible motherboard, both of which are old enough that new components will be harder to find (and expensive) and used/refurbished items will be usable for only so long before you're replacing again.  If you're using your rig for gaming, I would recommend a newer i5.  They overclock easily if you're interested, and they're about $100 cheaper than their i7 counterpart.  The parts that you get will still be under warranty, which older parts may not be.

AChildishKitten

the 8700k is one of the best gaming cpus for sure. There are some slightly better but way more expensive.

VyillEmbrace

I would say upgrading to the DDR4 based system is where you are at.

Creature

Thanks, not looking to upgrade IMMEDIATELY, so I'll wait until around the summer to see what's available on both the AMD and Intel sides.

Vex
3 hours ago, Creature said:

Thanks, not looking to upgrade IMMEDIATELY, so I'll wait until around the summer to see what's available on both the AMD and Intel sides.

I just purchased an I5-9600k. I will let you know when everything gets here and how my system performs. 

What is your budget?

xEvinous

I'm running the 4770K now. I bought it when it first came out and haven't had any problems, new games still run great, and I'd definitely recommend it. That being said, if you have the budget, I'd look for something newer that will last you a few more years. The 4770K was one of the top CPUs when it came out, so while it's still great, it's going to start to dip as newer technology comes out.

• Like 1

Elephant

use the Intel Pentium. its a monster at online tic tac toe

Creature

For cpu, mobo, and ram I'm looking to keep it around the 400 mark, it's do-able with newer i5's, but someone is selling a 4770k used for 140 near me, thats why I was asking.

xEvinous
49 minutes ago, Creature said:

For cpu, mobo, and ram I'm looking to keep it around the 400 mark, it's do-able with newer i5's, but someone is selling a 4770k used for 140 near me, thats why I was asking.

Just be extremely careful with buying used CPUs, make sure to test it thoroughly and see it working before you buy it. From my experience, the majority of used CPUs I looked at were completely broken/fried.

Bison
3 hours ago, Creature said:

Have you looked on craigslist? I got a new i7 7700k, 16 GB ram, and an ASUS mobo all for 300 last spring. 

ranchitup
On 2/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, SkullCracker said:

Wait for AMD and their new CPU's being released in Q2.

^^^^

AChildishKitten
On 2/2/2019 at 1:57 PM, SkullCracker said:

Wait for AMD and their new CPU's being released in Q2.

While the AMD are great on paper, they don't really stack up to the Intel cpus as far as gaming goes it seems. I have a Threadripper 1950x and it gets beat by lower priced Intel cpus by a bit.

SkullCracker
On 2/4/2019 at 8:03 PM, AChildishKitten said:

While the AMD are great on paper, they don't really stack up to the Intel cpus as far as gaming goes it seems. I have a Threadripper 1950x and it gets beat by lower priced Intel cpus by a bit.

As a man who likes both, I can tell you this much, AMD will be wearing the crown in both GPU and CPU dept very soon. FYI, I have an I9 9800X, EVGA X299 DARK rig that while fast and I love it I will be building an AMD rig this summer, all AMD. Anyone looking for a new build shouldn't look past what AMD will be pushing out.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-everything-we-know,38233.html

Edited by SkullCracker

0xygenthief
On 2/4/2019 at 9:03 PM, AChildishKitten said:

Threadrippers were designed to be high end workstation CPUs not gaming CPUs.  Ryzen is the gaming line of CPUs for AMD.  Essentially more cores means more heat so you will never be able to compete with a lower core CPU from Intel at the same price point since you can't overclock due to heat.  Apples and Oranges, I am afraid you wasted your money if you purchased a threadripper for a gaming rig.

To the OP...

I was an AMD fanboi back when the FX-57 was king of single processor CPUs.  Once intel went multi-core I was an intel fanboi for years.  But once Ryzen was released circumstances compelled to give AMD a second try.  I purchased the first gen 1700X for my streaming/gaming rig and it is amazing.  Yes the first gen Ryzens require you to do a bit of research in the RAM department but I can OC my ram to 3400 and my 1700X at a constant 4 Ghz (a feat the second gen models have no problem with).  At the time its competition was the 7700K, and it was 100 bucks cheaper than intel's flagship gaming CPU.  I run a 3k (3440x1440) monitor so I never saw any of the deficit that some 1080p gamers saw.  Instead, I can game with max settings and stream at the same time without any performance impact.  Something I could not do with my 3770K gaming rig before it.

Intel CPUs are good, not questioning that.  But like AMD when they were top dog in the CPU market, Intel got complacent and rested on their laurels. AMD is fighting back hard for market share, forcing Intel to make some knee-jerk reaction releases like the current 9000 series (overheating issues).  AMD's 3rd gen will undoubtedly make another huge dent in Intel's monopoly come this summer.  Competition is good for the consumer.

My advice, like Skullcracker suggested, is to wait to see what AMD offers up.  If it is spectacular, consider buying one.  Chances are it will be reasonably priced.  Regardless of how spectacular the release is we will undoubtedly see another knee-jerk reaction from Intel.  If they have a better product, again consider buying that one (however unreasonably priced it may be).  Chances are we will see CPU price adjustments to accommodate the new releases making today's CPUs more affordable as a third option.

Edited by 0xygenthief
  • Like 1

jm0ney

I just built a new rig with an i7-9700K. Right now I have it OC to 5.0GHz and this processor slices through pretty much everything I throw at it. I'm only using  air cooling (Noctua NH-U14) and it  hasn't gone above 72c under load. AMD Ryzen CPUs are good bang for your buck if you play games that are able to  take advantage of the multiple cores. On single threaded applications, the Ryzen CPUs don't perform as well as Intel.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/sigleThread.html

Like others have mentioned, prices will be on the way down soon so If you're on a budget and aren't concerned with single threaded performance (and don't plan on using your PC as a workstation),  go with something like a Ryzen 5 2600X  or similar. If you're looking for top performance and are willing to spend a bit extra, go with something like an i5-9600k. Can easily overclock either of those CPUs with a decent PSU/Mobo.

Also, if your'e going to upgrade to a newer motherboard which is almost inevitable, keep your eyes open for a cheap PCIe SSD drive. I got an open-box 1TB Samsung 970 EVO from Microcenter for under $100 several weeks ago. Once you get a CPU that can take advantage of the faster read/write speeds, that is one of the hugest bang-for-your-buck upgrades you can get right now.