ComradePupper

Appropriate ways to approach some language issues

ComradePupper

So, this isn't really meant to come from the standpoint of "oh no one in the clan should swear" or anything that bizarre, but I feel like it's a topic I should approach for multiple reasons, even if I might catch crap for it. 

Tonight, while playing Battlefield V on the teamspeak server, someone (I do not know who) used both the F-word (the gay slur, not the word fuck), and also called something frustrating Autistic. I have no problem shit talking, or getting frustrated and venting. It's a game and shit happens- I'm not saying punish anyone, I'm not angry per-se, just frustrated.

But when people use parts of who you are to insult other people or situations where they're frustrated it makes it seem like those parts of yourself are inherently bad, and you're bad for being them, even though you can't control who you are. It's not welcoming and it's not cool. 

Is there a better way to handle this, because if there is I would love a way to handle this properly in a way that doesn't target or call people out.

I'll have your back on the Battlefield o7

• Like 1

Vex

Community Guidelines: 

4. Mind your fellow members, please keep language that may be considered offensive in the appropriate channels. Players who fail to watch their language in front of other members/guests will be reprimanded. (This applies to language outside of English, but does not include swearing)

Now; With that being said, You can always file a complaint formally here: https://forums.uwsgaming.com/forms/7-file-a-complaint/ or request a ban here: https://forums.uwsgaming.com/forms/3-ban-request/

Another option is to talk to a member of staff in private about the situation. 

Informing said player you do not appreciate the language can also go a long way; Respectfully of course. There is not much staff can do with a blanket complaint such as this. I have tagged the Battlefield staff for you.

@SecretSquirrel43 @4F73RM47H

@ComradePupper

Edited by Vex

MistDreamer

People are free to use most words. Just depends on the contex. 

AChildishKitten

I cringe when I hear the f bomb dropped. And it happens quite a bit. I'm not talking about the 4 letter f bomb. To me, it's just like dropping the N word, which I have also heard. We should hold ourselves a little higher than that here. I don't think it's acceptable. On the other hand, it's real easy to mute someone for good. 

Edited by AChildishKitten

Rin
29 minutes ago, AChildishKitten said:

I cringe when I hear the f bomb dropped. And it happens quite a bit. I'm not talking about the 4 letter f bomb. To me, it's just like dropping the N word, which I have also heard. We should hold ourselves a little higher than that here. I don't think it's acceptable. On the other hand, it's real easy to mute someone for good. 

I don't have that thin of a skin and yet i feel the same way.
If you can't behave like a decent human (behavior-wise) then i shall treat you like what you are if you know what i mean.

• Like 2

SecretSquirrel43

@ComradePupper

As Vex stated, Community Guidelines state that we have to use respectful language. While we are generally free to curse like sailors, f----t has a much worse connotation than your usual batch of curse words. For me it has a poisonous and hurtful vibe similar to the N-word. 

Autistic as well. If we are a mature community we should act like it, and I think calling things autistic in a fit of rage isn't very mature.

I don't want it in the BF channels. I'll keep an ear open for it, I must have been filtering it out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MistDreamer

N-word like the only real banned word. I use retarded.but in the context somthing is stupid. Hold over words from when I was young.

• Thanks 1

Com}{rade

There's a difference between making comments out of being frustrated or using a term to reflect something that happened in game, with comments being used to specifically target individuals for harassment purposes. As well as using  terms excessively which may become an annoyance and/or off-putting to members issue due to the un-needed excessive nature of using the same word over and over.

Being a mature clan also means certain things are going to be said and discussions are going to be said that you don't like or agree with. No one is forced to be in a channel or to play with certain people. We should not be quick to police language. The community guidelines were set as a general baseline in which to operate as a starting standard for members, new people and guests (specifically to cover ourselves  as a community when we decide to take certain actions), not to be used in any way whatsoever to clamp down on anything anyone deems upsetting. If it was designed that way, nothing mature would be allowed here. As anyone could make the case that whatever they heard was, "considered offensive".

@ComradePupper While I understand your position and feelings, you need to seperate online lingo, meme's and whatever else that has been associated with gaming and online banter or frustration from who you are as an individual. You associating the two (yourself and the term) and then feeling bad is the main problem. Not the words themselves. Unless you're being targeted specifically or harassed, I would be wary to leap ahead and allow a word to make you feel bad. It comes down to people using words in moments of heat that have been universally hardcoded into online/gaming culture. It doesn't mean these things are personally attacking you. You, nor I, control a word just because we are one. I do not control the term Scottish because I'm part Scottish. I can't count the amount of times someone slipped a, "that was fucking gay" or "jesus that kill cam was autistic". These terms aren't being used in a context to make someone feel bad if they categorize themselves as one or the other, they're being used for a specific purpose in relation to gaming, frustration or general internet culture. Which, whether we like it or not, isn't going to change. All sorts of words over history and developed dual meanings. Just because the context was used as a negative, doesn't then presuppose that those terms are inherently negative or bad, and therefore so is the person that identifies as such.

I certainly don't condone certain things said, and I don't use a large amount of words many others do, but we need to be careful on how often we have to re-discuss what is and isn't ok and revisit the word policing issue here. We as individuals shouldn't be taking everything personal and letting it affect us. Especially when things aren't even directed towards as personally.

@SecretSquirrel43 Of course monitor BF as you see fit, but be aware of the general overreach that should be avoided outside targeted harassment and annoyance for spamming (regardless of the word).

• Like 5

macgregor1964

Although Commies response may come across , to some , as a little open ended or abstract, it is exactly correct. Without getting to deep into the legal principles and the basic legal elements of free speech.  He uses the term's       "targeted "  " directed " which speaks to intention, and can be defined under the context of  libel or responsible actions. What cannot be defined under the context of  libel or actionable legal principle is motivation. This term motivation , only speaks to the reason , not the purpose. He outlines the general motivation in his response as being  " in relation to gaming ,  frustration or general internet culture". In simple terms the comment was neither directed at , or targeting an individual for the expressed  "purpose " of causing harm , defamation, or slander.  I also do not condone ,  nor do i engage in the use of that language . I also understand  the concern brought forward by Pupper . 

I will also say that  words do have consequences . Even in the absence of malicious intent ,  words still have the ability to cause pain  , association , and offend. So when someone is offended/hurt by a word, that is innately based on their own personal experience . You cant just turn that off.   We should strive to use language that is respectful of others, regardless of how different their experience may be from our own.

Edited by macgregor1964
  • Turned On 1

murrpheus

An extremely inconsiderate person, who is closely associated with HarleyDavidsons." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_(South_Park)

0xygenthief

I think we are all on the same sheet of music.  Being prior military I've heard it all and for the most part cursing is either just a way to fit in or used because you lack the vocabulary to express yourself adequately.  I curse like a sailor and routinely catch myself when speaking in front of my kids or my employees.  It's hard to not curse when you've spent YEARS adopting the vernacular of your brothers in arms.  For that reason, I have rarely confronted anyone on their use of curse words.  That being said, THERE IS a difference between cursing as a means of communicating and attacking someone.  The second you curse AT someone all bets are off and you need to watch your ass.  Ad hominem attacks,  attacks on who someone is physically/mentally, are out of bounds.  

The only exception is ISIS, FUCK ISIS.

• Like 2

macgregor1964

Vex. That was the point of my prior post. An odd thing to post in here , especially considering the subject being discussed ?

Edited by macgregor1964
  • Haha 1

SecretSquirrel43
7 hours ago, macgregor1964 said:

Oh , so now @murrpheus  is calling me a f***got too. Really..

I believe murrpheus was making a joke about the word, not calling you one.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Vex

Well this derailed a little. 

Let's not hijack this thread where a member has a legit concern and turn it into a pissing battle. 

• Like 1

SkullCracker

I recall a time when words were just that, words and we didn't cry or complain. I'm telling you I miss those days because the crying I hear all the time about this offends me or that offends me sickens me. Guess I grew up in a generation where we had spines and we were tough. I can still hear my dad say son stick and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you. He was right and guess what they never did, the words that is, they never hurt my feelings and I was picked on as a kid or should I say bullied....SMH.

Edited by SkullCracker
  • Like 2

SkullCracker
18 hours ago, Vex said:

Well this derailed a little. 

Let's not hijack this thread where a member has a legit concern and turn it into a pissing battle. 

I don't think it was hijacked. I think valid points have been made. We play games the glorify killing but cry about words......lmao.

Vex
7 minutes ago, SkullCracker said:

I don't think it was hijacked. I think valid points have been made. We play games the glorify killing but cry about words......lmao.

Did you read the entire thread?

If so, I was talking about Murph and Mac. That's it. The rest of the comments were solid stuff. 

The Original post has been edited by Mac, so If you haven't read everything here my comment didn't make sense my dude. 

Edited by Vex

SkullCracker
1 minute ago, Vex said:

Did you read the entire thread?

If so, I was talking about Murph and Mac. That's it. The rest of the comments were solid stuff. 

Nahhh, I browsed through things, my bad.

Edited by SkullCracker
  • Like 1

SecretSquirrel43

Think this is sufficiently responded to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1