BaD_Karma_701

Helping a friend build his 1st Desktop

BaD_Karma_701

Hey guys I have some questions / Concerns  any advice. 

hers the build Ive suggested.   targeted 1440 /4k  gaming   on Ultra to High  for next 3-4 years.  

GTA Series , Just Cause 4   WW3,  SCUM, Fallout,  DCS, Forza,  Battlefield series just to name a few. 

so without further adoo

Corsair Carbide 275R mid tower                                             

ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO Gaming WiFI  Or  GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi

180.00                                                                                                 192.00

Intel I5-9600K Processor

CPU cooler

Corsair Hydro H80iV2

PSU

Corsair 850watt 

Drives

Samsung EVO 970 M2 Drive  For OS and Applications/ Pictures

Seagate firecuda HDD 2tb   Game Drive 

Ram

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 3000mhz

Video card

EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC GAMING 8GB GDDR6

OR

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 

both listed as best rating. 

PCI-Express USB 3.0 Expansion Card

ASRock USB3.1/A+A Model USB3.1/A+A   

Software   

windows 10 pro

Bitdefender Total Security 2019 5 Device/1 Year

What do you guys think  changes sugestions.   not trying to bust the bank but would like to future proof within reason.    2200.00 for a 2080 build max  or  1800,00 for a 2070.  is  the top for $$  less is better.      Thanks  

OFP

Does it have to be a mid tower, or can it be full?  If it can be full, I've spent a bunch on CM gaming cases in builds over the years which have had their pros (and cons), but recently got a Phanteks Enthoo Pro for this last one.  Never heard of them before and was really leery but it beats the CM Storm Trooper I had last handily.  Better cable management, button/expansion placement, smaller footprint, and looks much better (if you care for that).  Got one for I think $90 on Newegg with a  tempered glass side panel (but you can get the blackout panel if you want as well).  I went all air this time and it moves it phenomenally.  Can fit Noctua cooler and its 140mm fans x2 even with heatsinks on the RAM.

The H100 in my last build died, causing the new build to get kicked off.  I don't think I'll be going with that sort of ready-made hydro setup in the future.  If your buddy is not opposed to air, the Noctua DH-15 or similar is great and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept up with the old H100.  It's a little louder, but not blocking an exit with the rad (even in push pull) seems to be making all my other components happier (although that 80 will block much less than the 100 did), and there's the element of peace of mind as well....  Plenty of people have had zero problem with those water coolers, but I don't think I'll be going back to water unless I build a comprehensive setup for CPU+GPU etc...

Why not step up to the 1TB 970 Evo (~50% more money for 100% more capacity)?  Could your friend not fit all their games using that and SSD over SATA3?  And add a cheapo big platter for storage/media?

Forgive me if any of this post is bullshit as I don't do a great job keeping up with builds/components much these days, but as I said I recently "had to" do a build due to H100 shitting the bed and then everything getting too damn hot while my dumb ass tried to diagnose wtf the problem was.  Also tell your friend to maybe not disable overheating alert/protection in the BIOS and then forget about it... that can lead to bad things.

Edited by OFP

OFP
26 minutes ago, OFP said:

Double post.

Edited by OFP
I'm an idiot

BaD_Karma_701
4 hours ago, OFP said:

Does it have to be a mid tower, or can it be full?  If it can be full, I've spent a bunch on CM gaming cases in builds over the years which have had their pros (and cons), but recently got a Phanteks Enthoo Pro for this last one.  Never heard of them before and was really leery but it beats the CM Storm Trooper I had last handily.  Better cable management, button/expansion placement, smaller footprint, and looks much better (if you care for that).  Got one for I think $90 on Newegg with a  tempered glass side panel (but you can get the blackout panel if you want as well).  I went all air this time and it moves it phenomenally.  Can fit Noctua cooler and its 140mm fans x2 even with heatsinks on the RAM.

The H100 in my last build died, causing the new build to get kicked off.  I don't think I'll be going with that sort of ready-made hydro setup in the future.  If your buddy is not opposed to air, the Noctua DH-15 or similar is great and I wouldn't be surprised if it kept up with the old H100.  It's a little louder, but not blocking an exit with the rad (even in push pull) seems to be making all my other components happier (although that 80 will block much less than the 100 did), and there's the element of peace of mind as well....  Plenty of people have had zero problem with those water coolers, but I don't think I'll be going back to water unless I build a comprehensive setup for CPU+GPU etc...

Why not step up to the 1TB 970 Evo (~50% more money for 100% more capacity)?  Could your friend not fit all their games using that and SSD over SATA3?  And add a cheapo big platter for storage/media?

Forgive me if any of this post is bullshit as I don't do a great job keeping up with builds/components much these days, but as I said I recently "had to" do a build due to H100 shitting the bed and then everything getting too damn hot while my dumb ass tried to diagnose wtf the problem was.  Also tell your friend to maybe not disable overheating alert/protection in the BIOS and then forget about it... that can lead to bad things.

He wanted to go Micro Or ITX and i shy'd him away from that he wants the small form factor and space savings I have a Huge thermaltake Case I believe it was the largest case available when i bought it. and he absolutely does not want that..lol    So Mid tower is his compromise.  Im not sure if he wants air cooled or not  water will keep temps more stable if its working correctly from what Ive read  but custom loops are better than  prebuilt but  for a first timer  its plug n play.  going with the small form factor is why i suggested the 80.  and i havent had any issues with my 110 .. yet * kocks on wood.  

for the drives  cost and  I like redundancy  I had  a 128 m2 and it was too small  250 -500gb is where id go. depending on price.    and main storage its still preferable  price why to go with a  HDD  again size relegated to $$$ not trying to break the bank here and  spend it on RAM and the video card.

also hence why i suggested the I5 vs I7.  though the new i7 9700 K 9900k have solder IHS  like my i7 4790k  So I may urge him to spend a lil on that chipset for that factor alone  unless theres a confirmation that one of intels  new i5's has the same setup vs paste.   

My biggest Unknown really is  DDR4  and a video card  as a new build  whats the best performance / for $$   not looking to go Super High end  just higher than middle ground for a little headroom  say 3 yrs from now.   vs  good enough and struggling  to run high settings at 1440 or 4k  and such.  

whats your opinion  guys...

Col-Squirrel

Here are a few of my opinions:

Motherboard - Stay away from anything Gigabyte (their bios are terrible, and are really bad about lying about power delivery on their boards) and the TUF line of ASUS boards (they are the low end of ASUS boards).  Go with something either higher up ASUS line or something from ASROCK.

Cooler - If you really want to go with a liquid AIO, look into NZXT line of coolers.  They are quiet, come with a 7 year warranty, and have a really cool mirror effect for lighting on the top.  Pick a size that fits the case you're going with.

Also drop the expansion card and Bitdefender.  The motherboard you get should have those ports on the board itself.  Also paying for anti-virus isn't really needed anymore. Windows 10 built in one works just fine, as long as your friend isn't constantly going to shady sites.

RAM is fine, though pick the motherboard first, then choose memory based on their QVL, to make sure its 100% compatible.

Video card is a quite a bit overkill for that price, going with a 1080ti will get the same results for quite a bit less in cost.

• Like 1

BaD_Karma_701
17 minutes ago, Col-Squirrel said:

Here are a few of my opinions:

Motherboard - Stay away from anything Gigabyte (their bios are terrible, and are really bad about lying about power delivery on their boards) and the TUF line of ASUS boards (they are the low end of ASUS boards).  Go with something either higher up ASUS line or something from ASROCK.

Cooler - If you really want to go with a liquid AIO, look into NZXT line of coolers.  They are quiet, come with a 7 year warranty, and have a really cool mirror effect for lighting on the top.  Pick a size that fits the case you're going with.

Also drop the expansion card and Bitdefender.  The motherboard you get should have those ports on the board itself.  Also paying for anti-virus isn't really needed anymore. Windows 10 built in one works just fine, as long as your friend isn't constantly going to shady sites.

RAM is fine, though pick the motherboard first, then choose memory based on their QVL, to make sure its 100% compatible.

Video card is a quite a bit overkill for that price, going with a 1080ti will get the same results for quite a bit less in cost.

Z390M-Pro Gaming comes in the mATX format

which this is why im leaning towards that.  looked at other asus and i didnt see anything that fit that aspect.  

Id  support your opinion for ASrock but Firmware reviews have nixed them as an option  

NZXT will have to give them a look  thanks...   expansion is needed for the extra usb slots for  peripherals 

1080ti is still a worthy option  good to know thanks  what about a 1070ti ? whats the performance drop from the 80ti?

0xygenthief

Why intel, and an i5 at that?  AMD Ryzen rocks at 1440p gaming.  I run a mini-itx build with a ryzen 7 and a 1080ti, both watercooled.  Same setup would go toe to toe with any intel build.  More performance headroom at the same price...

• Like 1

0xygenthief

Also, don't buy anything until Black Friday or later.  As with every year vendors slowly ratchet up prices prior to black friday.  On that day/week they drop the prices back to normal so people feel they got a good deal.  Don't be the guy that buys early...

Drizzit1aa

Great recourses for comp. builds .

http://thebottlenecker.com/#calculator

https://pcpartpicker.com/

This is my build (plus a few TB 's of hard drives since build), nothing it wont play on ULTRA yet.

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM - 64-bit
EVGA 120-G1-1000-VR 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Phanteks Enthoo Series Primo Aluminum ATX Ultimate Full Tower Computer Case PH-ES813P_BL
GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151 Intel Z270 4-Way SLI ATX DDR4 Motherboard 
1TB 960 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor 
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

P.S.

Also custom looped using EKWB, I wouldn't choose them again, not that they are bad or anything but would have gotten something in the states had I known how long it takes shipping.

My first build in 2007 used a GIGABYTE, after 10+ years  it's still kicking with no hiccups (gave it to my mother in 2017) I am more than sure Col-Squirrel is correct but one thing for sure, they last.

Edited by Drizzit1aa
P.S.

BaD_Karma_701

Thanks guys After speaking with him  he settled on  and purchased  a Corsair Carbide 275R mid tower and the ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO Gaming WiFI Mobo   was able to get the case for 60.00  and the mobo for 170  i  think. so not too bad of a deal   He is waiting til Black friday  and cyber monday for the rest. 

hes pretty much going to follow my recommendations unless he finds something better or feels is a better buy 

only thing were hung up on is   i5 9600k  VS i7 9700k     9mb vs 12mb L3       Thermal paste  Vs Solder,     Cores count  and clock Speed  are similar for gaming.

So outside of Cost   Does the fact that under the lid Intel used paste on the i5  vs gold solder on the i7 and would we see a difference  plus 3mb L3 cache in i7 favor  do those two things justify the price  taking the higher core thread count as a grain of salt.   Im leaning towards no   save the $$$ and spend it elsewhere. 

As for graphics again waiting for black friday  and watching price but most likely will purchase  EVGA RTX 2070  XC   

as for why intel  its what he knows and likes had a AMD laptop a couple yrs ago  didnt like it so talking him into anything AMD will be impossible...

IF theres anything else or other suggestions  between now and black friday  greatly appreciated and you all have a great day/night   

Stay frosty my friends:koopakart: 

Edited by BaD_Karma_701

Jatt

about bitdefender u r paying too much

i pay 100$ for 3 year and 5 include-pc+phone+tablet

contact bitdefender support

Mongoose_Chief
On 11/6/2018 at 7:12 PM, 0xygenthief said:

Why intel, and an i5 at that?  AMD Ryzen rocks at 1440p gaming.  I run a mini-itx build with a ryzen 7 and a 1080ti, both watercooled.  Same setup would go toe to toe with any intel build.  More performance headroom at the same price...

I 100% agree, go with AMD for processor!