rifledude

WE HALO NOW BOIS

rifledude

Going all in on the ground stuff. First was the Hercules, now this Valkyrie.

• Like 1
  • Turned On 1

rifledude

Forgot to mention,

this was just unveiled, and is completely in game and flyable

NOW
Was not ready for that.

• Like 2

Joehockey

Yeah, that is how they should do concept ship sales. Announce them, show us the company commercial or some demo work and then say, it's done and ready, will be in-game in a couple of days. I didn't see a price for it though so I'm wondering how quickly they expect us to be able to buy.

Edit: apparently the RSI site had just been crashed when I checked for the Valk earlier. Turns out its about $330 or $375 depending one warbond or not.

Edited by Joehockey
  • Like 1

rifledude

Just got done flying it in 3.3 PTU.

I think they rushed to get the ship out in time for 3.3, as it has its problems.

First, there is no sound. At all. Doors, engines, buttons, nothing makes noise except the guns. Second, the jump seats' restraint doesn't come down when you sit in them, and sometimes you bug out and sit on the headrest. Third, none of the storage lockers open, nor do any of the component bays. Fourth, the turrets are wonky as hell. Fifth, the rear cargo ramp flips vehicles when you try to load them. Lastly, the latter to get to the flight deck really likes to pull you into a climbing state and sometimes you can get stuck there.

That all being said, I couldn't be happier to own one. For being a brick, it flies pretty well, has great engine power, and has a fantastic layout. You can see years of ship design evolution rolled into this thing.

It's also smaller than you would think. It fits onto a regular landing pad at Port Olisar, and is surprisingly nimble on the turns. Top speed clocked in around 1085 m/s. The engine power really completes the package, there are other ships like the Reclaimer that have really mediocre engines making it difficult to escape atmosphere, or hit the breaks.

Not the Valkyrie. Even with a load, point up and floor it. It takes awhile to get up to top speed, but I would claim getting up to regular speed (~230 m/s) is on par or better than any other transport.

So no regrets buying one.

• Like 1

Joehockey

Nice! Sounds a little more unpolished that it seemed in the demo but once they iron out those issues I'd bet the Valk will become a more sought after ship for orgs. I'm curious off the size if it will fit in/on the Capital ships though.

rifledude

Only ship it can fit in is the Bengal carrier. Maybe in the future when we see cruisers, and battleships there will be that ability. Probably my biggest complaint about the ship is that it really isn't a dropship if it can't be launched from most ships.

I believe that's a consequence of it being too tall. Because everything in Star Citizen is standardized, a vehicle bay on a ship must be the size of a standard vehicle bay. This makes it too tall for most ships this would be most effective on, such as a Javelin or Idris, though something with exterior docking like the Kraken would be fine.

I don't think we'll see a true vehicle transporting dropship until CIG decides to do external load lifting that can be seen on things like the Pelican dropship from Halo, which is a futuristic take on helicopters sling loading vehicles that don't fit in their bays, and if they did fit they would be too big to fit on ships.

Rin
5 hours ago, rifledude said:

Just got done flying it in 3.3 PTU.

I think they rushed to get the ship out in time for 3.3, as it has its problems.

First, there is no sound. At all. Doors, engines, buttons, nothing makes noise except the guns. Second, the jump seats' restraint doesn't come down when you sit in them, and sometimes you bug out and sit on the headrest. Third, none of the storage lockers open, nor do any of the component bays. Fourth, the turrets are wonky as hell. Fifth, the rear cargo ramp flips vehicles when you try to load them. Lastly, the latter to get to the flight deck really likes to pull you into a climbing state and sometimes you can get stuck there.

That all being said, I couldn't be happier to own one. For being a brick, it flies pretty well, has great engine power, and has a fantastic layout. You can see years of ship design evolution rolled into this thing.

It's also smaller than you would think. It fits onto a regular landing pad at Port Olisar, and is surprisingly nimble on the turns. Top speed clocked in around 1085 m/s. The engine power really completes the package, there are other ships like the Reclaimer that have really mediocre engines making it difficult to escape atmosphere, or hit the breaks.

Not the Valkyrie. Even with a load, point up and floor it. It takes awhile to get up to top speed, but I would claim getting up to regular speed (~230 m/s) is on par or better than any other transport.

So no regrets buying one.

Sounds and Visuals are of less importance in the PTU, Bet when it goes stable will have those. Glad they realized it cause im sure they had been blocked before waiting for those to be finalized.

Hows performance?

Joehockey

@rifledude I’m wondering if you might be able to squeeze a Valk on one of those external landing pads of the Kraken. I’m guessing it would tight as hell but just maybe it could work. Otherwise I’d say they dropped the ball a bit on that one.

rifledude
7 hours ago, Rin said:

Hows performance?

For the game? Fantastic. It's everything people said it would be.

2 hours ago, Joehockey said:

@rifledude I’m wondering if you might be able to squeeze a Valk on one of those external landing pads of the Kraken. I’m guessing it would tight as hell but just maybe it could work. Otherwise I’d say they dropped the ball a bit on that one.

Like I said, it fits on a standard landing pad at any port. Should be fine on a Kraken.

• Like 1

Book

The reason, and ONLY reason it was rushed straight to flyable... is because if you noticed... it appears in the new Squadron 42 trailer.  Seems they were looking for a dropship with a higher capacity than the Hoplite and this is it.

rifledude

Epic tried to tell me the Valkyrie can hold four Cyclones, I told him he was crazy and wasn't scaling them right in his head...

2nutl6vlitr11.jpg

There is one massive downside to the Valkyrie, it can't hold actual cargo.

What I mean is, there are no designated SCU zones, meaning any cargo in the ship will not be persistent. They're claiming that's a balance issue; the ship is strictly designed for troops and vehicles and they want you to get a ship designed for hauling cargo if that's what you want to do.

I don't think CIG has this one thought through; troops need medical supplies, construction/repair materials, ammunition, ordnance, and fuel in a combat zone as much as they need bodies and vehicles. Do they really think the UEE would use a drop ship that can't for some reason carry cargo? I get that this thing would replace a Freelancer Max, but a Freelancer Max is a $150 ship, the Valkyrie is a $375 ship. They aren't competing each other for best cargo hauler.

This in my opinion will obviously change in the future, but as of right now that's the main drawback.

Rin

So they would have you either fly in 2 ships or Risk of running out of supplies because you cannot cargo basic stuff that ANY current transport does irl?

think they need to rethink and give other reasons for buying a proper cargo ship than forcing people to do it like this.

MasterReach

.....I NEED TO STEAL ONE NOW!!!! 0-0