Sign in to follow this  
Haxwell

Team Etiquette and You!

Haxwell
Posted (edited)

I thought it might be useful to have some nice "rules of thumb" of playing in a team in Tarkov on the forums. I am in no way a pro at this game, in fact you could safely say that I somewhat suck at it, but I still love it. And through time spent in this community gaming in teams, A few points have come to mind for playing in teams that can make a difference in raids. We only fail at this game when we stop trying to improve.

1. Communicate.

This is crucial. Too often I've seen engagements go south because a team member repositioned without communicating. You have to remember you are in a team and keeping your squad appraised of your positioning and movements is crucial to your team knowing where they are covered and where they are not. Which leads nicely into number 2.

2. Make TEAM decisions, instead of personal ones.

Don't bring a "lone wolf" mentality into a team raid. It's detrimental to the cohesion and synergy of the team if you are separating from your units movement pattern and not booking team decisions being made. This is why you didn't know what we meant when we said "Enemy player, dead ahead". your callouts (at least in a big map) should be based on your team's orientation of movement, not your personal orientation of movement. Anything that happens to you when you separate from the group, is on you.

3. If it can be said in one word, don't use twelve.

Every millisecond counts in engagements. Any question to the team (Is anyone at *here*? Who's running? I hear walking on metal?) that can be answered in one word, should be. "Me." "That's me" "Yes" "No" You need to get the information out as quickly as humanly possible so the team can adjust accordingly. You telling me that it's not you walking on metal outside 1 second quicker can mean the difference between winning an engagement, and winning without casualties. Make sure the information is correct, and if it's a guess or assumption, be clear about that fact. Which brings me to number 4.

4. Be as accurate as possible with callouts.

By this I mean make sure you are using the correct callouts if you are going to use a callout. If you are not 100% certain what that landmark is called? Give a quick description. The team can work more with that information than with the confusion of an incorrect callout. You have no excuse for not learning AT LEAST the factory callouts.

5. You call out BEFORE you perform an action. Not after.

Too many times, this is how it goes down: "Bang! Bang!" "Shots fired! No Visual" "Oh that was me sorry, killed a scav". "Firing", "Moving", "Walking", "Reloading". These are all things you can say BEFORE performing the action without taxing your brain's bandwidth too much. It makes a difference for a teams cohesion and mutual trust.

6. Relax. Calm down. Breathe

Nothing puts a team more on edge than a player who can't relax. The team cannot operate as one when one member of the team is in constant panic mode. Trust in your brothers, trust in your skills, spend some time in offline mode to get more familiar with the maps. Whatever you gotta do to keep a level head, do it.

7. After every lost engagement, analyze, assess and learn.

A lost raid is really only truly lost if you didn't learn anything from it. Every death is an opportunity to analyze your reactions to situations, theorize alternatives you could have done, and make mental notes of how to do it smarter next time.

8. Make a point to do more listening than talking.

Use your best judgement here. Obviously this isn't a mil-sim, so you dont need to be completely silent; just keep in mind that more often than not at some point in a raid, things will get real. If you're telling a three part story when shit hits the fan, you're gonna die.

9. If you have a clean headshot, take it.

Just make sure you call it out.

10. Don't be aloof.

Maybe this is just me, but every single time I play in a team with anyone that has one of those blasse "nothing matters to me" attitudes, it goes poorly.

11. If nobody asked, don't tell.

Nobody cares about the catalog of loot you just allegedly got in the raid they weren't in. If they express interest, obviously go for it. If literally nobody asked about your loot, nobody wants to know. You're posturing and you know it.

12. Worry about loot AFTER the engagement.

If your team is not certain that all the targets in the AO have been eliminated, don't even mention loot. Not the kill you looted, not the kill you are going to loot, not the loot you need ditched, nothing. Too often, teams end up leaving a raid with multiple unnecessary casualties because they let their guard down to loot. Save the loot talk until there are no more confirmed targets in the area. So many fubar'd firefights and engagements, in hindsight and analysis, were due to lack of focus.

13. The faster you loot, the longer you live.

The game has a few functions at your disposal to help you loot faster and getting comfortable with them makes a big difference for loot time. Hovering over an item in your inventory and hitting "Delete" will immediately discard it, saving you the time of bringing up the contextual menu and choosing discard. Holding "Control" and left clicking an item you are looting, instantly throws it into the most suitable container you have with the space for it. Much faster than dragging and dropping. If you hold "Alt" and left click an equippable item, you will instantly equip it (Provided you don't already have something equipped in its spot). Make directed efforts to get comfortable with these functions as I guarantee you they will make a big difference in how quickly you're able to move on to the next engagement.

14. If you are not in the raid, speak only when spoken to. (Thanks to @matt0212 for this one)

This honestly should be a no brainer, but it has a couple more applications for particularly our TS that I'll get into. First off, if you aren't in the raid with the group, don't speak. Obviously if it's because you just died and you need to convey some information, speak. After that point and for the rest of the raid however, speak only when spoken to. Simple. A great routine that you can try that I personally employ, is to mute your mic immediately once you die. Here comes the our TS part. We have a "Waiting for group" channel. Use it. Don't pop into every group channel asking who's in raid. If there's so much as one other person in the LFG lobby with you, be a man and start the group.

Please add anymore you guys can think of.

Edited by Haxwell
  • Like 1

HighdefinitionHero

Great a lot of people need to adapt to this

matt0212

Some well delivered points made in total agreement!

Comms need to improve on occasions especially when in contact 🙂