Zer0Wulf

Do you have high ping/latency issues with BF1?

Zer0Wulf

Post here if you have issues with high ping or excessive latency in BF1 lately. Lets talk about possible fixes or see how many of us its affecting.@macgregor1964

I had the issue once so far where a few weeks ago i had 100+ ping in servers where i normally have 40 or under. Then magically an hour or two later the ping just dropped back down to 40 while in game.

I'm using Comcast, and have a Netgear CM1000 Docsis 3.1 modem, along with cutting edge Netgear XR700 router (I beta test stuff for Netgear).

Things to try:

-Make sure your network card driver is up to date.

-If your router has uPnP enabled it will open the correct ports for the game when they're being used. Opening up a uPnP page in your router should show some of these ports when the game is running and in a server. If its not working correctly, you may need to manually port forward. Or it could just be Origin.

https://portforward.com/battlefield-1/

Ports Required for Battlefield 1
  • TCP: 1935,3478-3480,9988,10000-10100,17502,42127.
  • UDP: 3074,3478-3479,3659,14000-14016.

macgregor1964

Great and timely post Zer0. I have had an unstable ping ( tripled ) in all BF games for the last 5 days. As you have mentioned, it usually last's a relatively short period of time and then without rhyme or reason resolves itself.I think those specific issues are origin/game related.When it persists, it may be a bad node along the route.I am currently having my ISP run an SAA to monitor for a few days to locate exactly where the packets are being lost. I will update this post when i have new information. 

• Like 1

macgregor1964

I would also suggest that anyone having  ping issues avoid going down a rabbit hole and uninstalling/reinstalling the game as it may have no benefit. Occums razor comes to mind..Still monitoring for a few days.will update status Saturday.

Edited by macgregor1964

macgregor1964

UPDATE  :  Hey @Zer0Wulf ran a trace rt last night and the # 7 hop was  [200 ms ] . Ran one this morning and the # 11  [109 ms ] #12 [109 ms ]  and the #7 hop was now stable at [ 89 ms ] . This was an indicator to me that the modem was faulty. Unlikely you will find multiple (3) fluctuating router  [ hop # 7 ,11,12 ] on the same route. I called my ISP and had them ping the modem again and sure enough there are some hardware/modem issues. Great learning experience. Thanks again for the help with wireshark etc.

Edited by macgregor1964
  • Like 1

Zer0Wulf

If you buy a new modem and use cable. I highly suggest a Netgear CM600 or CM1000 for future proofing. Not sure what service type you got or if your provider accepts these modems, but if they do, they are the best. I have two CM1000 modems (currently in use and love it) from a beta, you can go up to 1Gbps service on it bc its DOCSIS 3.1. CM 600 is a good and stable all around DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Not sure if Canada has the same stuff.

macgregor1964

Just checked , the provincial  ( B.C. )  legislation prohibits the sale of modems 😂. ISP's must have locked that down.  My ISP will only use and recognize there own equipment. What they do have for a higher end modem is a Hitron CODA - 4582. As opposed to the  Arris modem i have currently.  I will talk with the tech when he comes out and see if we can tweek it. Not real familiar with the Hitron CODA-4582..

Edited by macgregor1964

Zer0Wulf

Thats crazy you can't buy your own, wow......

If its CODA-4582 instead of CDA-4582 (google didn't recognize it), then it looks like a decent DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Its future proof as its able to do very high speeds if you wanted to upgrade service later on.

From the interwebs:

The CODA-4582 has the capability to receive 5Gbps based on 2 x OFDM + 32 QAM over its DOCSIS 3.1 interface. The integrated Wi-Fi 3×3 2.4 GHz 802.11n and 4×4 5 GHz 802.11ac Wave 2 dual band MU-MIMO Access Point significantly improves customer experience extending range and coverage with blazing speeds. For wired clients, the four Gigabit Ethernet ports offer ultra-fast connections. MoCA 2.0 bonding provides a near-Gigabit wired backbone in the customer’s home for Wi-Fi extension.

macgregor1964

Yes it is a CODA-4582..My bad,not CDA. Thank's for the specs .

Trunkz Jr

I noticed when playing with chopper we were taking some heavy frame hits I don’t know if it was BF1 or an Nvidia update we did but you could feel it for sure which never really had a problem before. 

macgregor1964

I decided to jump over that massive Nvidia ray trace update for the 2080. ( almost 15 min to download..lol )I went back to the previous update until the next update after ray trace update was available. I don't have a 2080 anyway. BF1 has generally been a little unstable for the last month or so. Yeah , prior to recent fps spikes it has been stable .  Still having fun playin it and going back to BF4 once in a while...

Zer0Wulf

I started experiencing a lot of packet loss recently (ping still good though) which results in me rubberbanding in online games. Even when playing with my GF on two xboxes playing coop, i started rubber banding and both are wired. Switching out router and modem next, I have about 4 or 5 of each.

Might be a bad firmware update pushed to my modem from ISP.

Zer0Wulf

Replaced the modem and router with retail versions instead of Netgear's beta hardware, so far everything seems more stable and playing a bit of BF1 last night went smooth. I'll update if anything else happens.

united-we-stand-logo (footer size).png

United We Stand

United We Stand started in 2003 under the name Stars and Stripes. Our community has over 13 years of experience within the Battlefield franchise. Now, our community supports a diverse selection of gaming titles including: Escape from Tarkov, DayZ, PUBG, Star Citizen, and Siege to name a few. Come hang out, make new friends and enjoy your time with our united internationally supported gaming community!

Follow us