Autenien

Hurricane Florence

Autenien

Not sure how many members besides myself live in the area that is going to be adversely affected by Hurricane Florence, but I hope you stay safe.  I live southeast of Raleigh, and the potential is for my neck of the woods is for rainfall totals to exceed 3 feet.  I have prepared as well as I can, have two generators ready, plenty of water and supplies,  so my family and I are good.  

I wish I could say the same for everyone in this region, but unfortunately, that won't be the case.  I hate it, but there is going to be some lives lost from this storm.

This one scares me. 

0xygenthief

You are at a higher elevation than those of us closer to Ft. Bragg.  You should be fine.  Two years ago we saw some mighty nasty flooding.  Raleigh and the surrounding communities weren't affected nearly as bad.

https://abc11.com/weather/most-striking-photos-hurricane-matthews-aftermath/1546904/

Zer0Wulf

Good luck to everyone in the affected areas, I live in Houston, last year Harvey almost made me lose my car, bike, and shop. Stay dry and safe.

SecretSquirrel43

In MD we aren't in the path, just supposed to get rained on a good bit. Its been raining for the past 4 days so I can't wait for more. :l 

Autenien
On 9/11/2018 at 8:44 PM, 0xygenthief said:

You are at a higher elevation than those of us closer to Ft. Bragg.  You should be fine.  Two years ago we saw some mighty nasty flooding.  Raleigh and the surrounding communities weren't affected nearly as bad.

https://abc11.com/weather/most-striking-photos-hurricane-matthews-aftermath/1546904/

Not worried about flooding in this area as much as I am about the ground being saturated and trees being uprooted.  I have several HUGE oak trees that I do not want to come crashing through my roof.   I had  the pine trees removed several months ago, but the oak trees, I could not bring myself to take 'em down. 

Edited by Autenien

ranchitup

Stay safe!

SimpLePlaysTV

Be safe, anyone in the area! Hurricanes should never be underestimated! 

0xygenthief

I think someone sneezed, the power just went out in my neighborhood.  LoL!

I grew up in North West Texas where the average wind speed was 20-40 mph daily.  The wind blows 20 mph here in NC and all hell breaks loose.

0xygenthief

Lost power a couple of times but nothing serious or long term in my area.  Saw people playing golf Saturday, so yeah not bad.  I know a lot of people got pummeled on the coast, which is expected.  It could be worse though, you could be the weather reporter in this clip, knowing full well you won't have a job come Monday:

raingod

Hope all is well...here we will only get the tail end of it, just some rain, and cannot image what you must go thru on the east coast to prepare for this or even have to evacuate the area.  Must be a tough thing to go thru.

0xygenthief

This is what a hurricane is like for those of us who are not on the coast!

raingod
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:15 AM, 0xygenthief said:

I think someone sneezed, the power just went out in my neighborhood.  LoL!

I grew up in North West Texas where the average wind speed was 20-40 mph daily.  The wind blows 20 mph here in NC and all hell breaks loose.

I grew up in Northern Ontario (Canada) where we would normally get 2 to 3 feet of snowfall.  Since I moved to Southern Ontario, they get 1 to 2 inches of snowfall and all hell breaks loose, LOL!  They even called in the Canadian Army (which I think is only 1 person) to help Toronto because they got 4 inches one time.

Minos

Sad what is happening from this hurricane.  I can understand some people aren't able to leave or evacuate because they are immobile.  But some stubborn assholes who had a week to evacuate refuse to do so, and now they put the rescue people in danger because they were to selfish to do as they were told.  Why people don't listen is beyond me.  

SecretSquirrel43

I don't understand people who don't evacuate. You know its gonna be bad. And then you are so surprised when your dumb ass needs rescued. 

0xygenthief
8 hours ago, Minos said:

Sad what is happening from this hurricane.  I can understand some people aren't able to leave or evacuate because they are immobile.  But some stubborn assholes who had a week to evacuate refuse to do so, and now they put the rescue people in danger because they were to selfish to do as they were told.  Why people don't listen is beyond me.  

5 hours ago, SecretSquirrel43 said:

I don't understand people who don't evacuate. You know its gonna be bad. And then you are so surprised when your dumb ass needs rescued. 

One good reason why some of them don't leave is looting.  We've already seen looters hit some stores.  Remember this isn't the first hurricane to hit the Carolinas, so the longer term residence know what is coming.  Ancillary to that is the lack of moving vehicles during an evacuation.  It might be different if one of the options given to people affected is a POD that can be picked up in advance and returned later.  Put your expensive belongings/heirlooms inside and then what's left is only a shell of a home.  Without an option to secure their most valuable possessions some would rather wait it out.

Another reason is lack of money.  Not everyone can afford to take a long weekend and spend it in a nice hotel.  Kind of the flip-side to the protect what you have coin.  If there was a way to stage shelters ahead of the storm instead of retro-actively you may see fewer instances of this.

Just my two cents...

SAVAG3 GAM1NG

Hope you guys are ok ! We get them here in Florida all the time so we have learned how to  prepare  For them. Keep us updated on your status