Sign in to follow this  
0xygenthief

Mark my words THIS will be the future of gaming

SunderCats
Posted (edited)

Looks solid.  I'd like to test it out myself.  $35 a month PLUS game purchase seems a bit steep though.

Edited by SunderCats

ScubaSteve82103

It lost me at " It's like I was playing it on my PS4"

Neat concept though. I'm sure it will take off for a specific crowd.

0xygenthief
Posted (edited)

Instead of having to spend 3500 to 5K for a high end PC you can spend either a certain amount per month or on-demand power user rates when you want to play a game at ultra settings.  Right now its PS4 standards/levels, give it another year or two.  Just like VMWare and AWS is dominating the commercial and government enterprise it will dominate the consumer space as well, only instead of being cpu centric it will be GPU centric.

Edited by 0xygenthief

Sovereign

by accessing the virtual equivalent of a $2,000 gaming rig

That's nice and all, but $2,000 in a rig is just barely breaking high-end. Also if everything is being computed elsewhere and streamed in, that means that there's going to be a increase in millisecond response time which means competitive FPS's are pretty much off the table. I'm sure this would be okay for casuals, but not for your hardcore gamers.

Trunkz Jr

$35 a month is $420 a year, which I guess it's nice for people that don't plan to game long term or cannot afford even a $2000 PC, but the worry is there was a hint of lag. As far as FPS games go you'll feel this very much, other games not so much. If they can somehow eliminate the lag it could be big for people that stream their gaming in this market.

l-RUSE-|

I can barely play with a 2 ms delay I dont see how this would be viable

0xygenthief

I am always concerned about lag, in all its forms just like everyone else.  However, this virtualized cloud infrastructure theoretically wouldn't incur any additional lag on the whole.  It would simply change the order of operations.  Instead of server -> transport -> client -> render -> response -> transport -> server -> lag offset, it would be server -> render -> transport -> client -> response -> transport -> server -> lag offset.

To understand how the lag offset would work in a cloud environment I found this to help explain:

https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-319-90415-3_5.pdf

The lag offset will force everyone to incur some added lag to even the playing field, this is nothing new.  Anyone who plays Escape From Tarkov knows how important it is to get this RIGHT.  The benefit to a cloud based solution is that the lag compensation is no longer performed at the client side, its all done at the server.  Meaning games will no longer have to invent their own method for handling these issues, they can simply leverage the cloud based infrastructure to take care of it.  No more this game has better netcode than that game.  One standard.  Everyone will get used to it and the perception of lag will go away almost entirely.