tylerste85

CPU temp cycling/spiking on new build

tylerste85   
tylerste85

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my pc.  My core temperatures are normal around 24 degrees and the cores are spiking to 46 degrees just for a split second and return to normal at idle.  This causes my h100i to speed up and and cycle speed every minute.  Is this a connection issue, not enough thermal paste, or heatsink mounting issue?  Let me know. 

i7 6700k with msi m5 mobo. drivers are up to date.  Verified temps with corsair link and hwmonitor.

TripleFrequency   
TripleFrequency

I would definitely consider re-applying the thermal paste and making sure the cooler is mounted correctly. It's a simple enough solution and sounds to likely be the problem. I would hope it isn't something more serious, but in a worst case you could probably just RMA the CPU/Cooler depending on the actual issue.

tylerste85   
tylerste85
15 hours ago, TripleFrequency said:

I would definitely consider re-applying the thermal paste and making sure the cooler is mounted correctly. It's a simple enough solution and sounds to likely be the problem. I would hope it isn't something more serious, but in a worst case you could probably just RMA the CPU/Cooler depending on the actual issue.

okay.  RMA on the cooler is not an option since I reused the cooler from previous build.  I will check the mounting and clean/reapply thermal paste... pain in da ass.

TripleFrequency   
TripleFrequency

Well even if you can't RMA the cooler, you could possibly contact support anyway. Corsair is typically known for being pretty good, and they very well might help you out even though you are outside of warranty.

But for now let's just hope it's a problem with the thermal paste and not any of the components :)

Also, one more thing: Make sure you don't have too much/too little thermal paste (a pea sized dot or slightly smaller).

• Like 1

tylerste85   
tylerste85

cpucycling.PNG

this is at idle.

Edited by tylerste85

Rin   
Rin

Tyler what CPU u got?

http://prntscr.com/cybkhi this is how mine looks, It's quiet normal those spikes as they depend on CPU usage. Idle is never idle there are processes running in the background always. Stuff being loaded into disk and stuff being unloaded.

Rin   
Rin

http://prntscr.com/cyblfc and this is the full overview, Idle is going 1, 3, 5% randomly so its normal, I already had contacted Corsair about it before and at least thats what they told me.

However about the thermalpaste i would check a good video in regards of how much thermalpaste is needed, Peope tend to fill the whole thing and sometimes leave "bubbles".

tylerste85   
tylerste85
15 hours ago, Arbiter said:

Tyler what CPU u got?

http://prntscr.com/cybkhi this is how mine looks, It's quiet normal those spikes as they depend on CPU usage. Idle is never idle there are processes running in the background always. Stuff being loaded into disk and stuff being unloaded.

i'm with you, but I'm not use to my fans cranking up speed and back down so much.  It doesn't seem normal.  I have 6700k.  Do your fans change speed too?

tylerste85   
tylerste85

As for thermal paste, I used the grain of rice/pea method.  Not much, but slightly smaller than a pea.

Rin   
Rin

That method works, My fans are silent but yes they spin up too because my CPU heats up fast when its used i have one of the most power consuming and heat production CPUs.

Contact them just to be safe.

tylerste85   
tylerste85

Okay people here it is.  I've checked my connections and cleaned and reapplied thermal paste.  I found my bracket was loose and had some tightening left on the mother board for the h100i, but still decided to remove and reapply anyway.  Here are the pictures.  Yes, I know.  A little more paste than required, whoops.  Its okay though.  I am still having some swings in cpu package temperature, maybe not as high though.  

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

XpRsSn   
XpRsSn

You have the same shit I do. Corsair products are really good I online use that and MSI. The fact the temperature was doing that is because of bad connection all the times. Or the pump is bad but youd see that in it's rpm. Good you found the problem. 

Deny   
Deny
On 10/24/2016 at 10:29 AM, Arbiter said:

Tyler what CPU u got?

AMD uses different algorithms then Intel and there temps aren't accurate at all. Aida64 or HWinfo gives you beter and more accurate readings. Also, Corsair Link is also buggy when doing accurate readings.

this is mine:

aee9e609210abd395ac9255d1dd9e655.png

that's at idle and ofc it's overclocked to 4.6 GHz

• Like 1

Rin   
Rin

I totally agree with u i have HWmonitoring it all.

JellyDonuts   
JellyDonuts

If you're still having trouble, mount the stock cooler and see what happens.  Could be a pump issue on your H100

tylerste85   
tylerste85
11 hours ago, Ron Jeremy said:

If you're still having trouble, mount the stock cooler and see what happens.  Could be a pump issue on your H100

I am still receiving the spiking on the corsair link and hwm, but it is not a concern.  I know the cpu has paste and is getting cooled effectively.  The pump is constant and the fans are now replaced with constant quieter fans so I don't hear the fan rpm revving up and down.

XpRsSn   
XpRsSn
11 hours ago, tylerste85 said:

I am still receiving the spiking on the corsair link and hwm, but it is not a concern.  I know the cpu has paste and is getting cooled effectively.  The pump is constant and the fans are now replaced with constant quieter fans so I don't hear the fan rpm revving up and down.

yeah the stock fans are trouble. I've read this on reviews so i bought them with the cooler.

Omi88   
Omi88

That looks like a great mother board.

Drizzit1aa   
Drizzit1aa

Checked on this, I read a broken registry can cause spikes in CPU temps. Running a registry scan/repair could help or fix your problem.