HornyHornet

PC spec Help

HornyHornet

These are the specs im running.

I would like to get your opinions and see what i could do with upgrading to run 4K

I play PC but that is about it. Not a techy at all...

I just feel i'm not getting the best performance for what i've got. I've considered looking at overclocking but i don't know enough.

Kingston Fury Black 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C15 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit 

Gigabyte Radeon R9 390 G1 Gaming 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Corsair Hydro H100i GTX 240mm High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler (CW-9060021-WW)

Asus Intel Rampage V Extreme USB 3.1 Motherboard

Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 20

ProphetBeal

For 4k gaming it's all about the video card. That looks like a really good setup with the exception of that video card. For 4k you'd want a GTX 1080ti 

• Like 2

Minos

Like Prophet said.  That GPU definitely needs an upgrade.  The 1080ti is your best bet however it's being said that the 1100 series should be coming out later this year which will be even more powerful.  

• Like 1

HornyHornet
1 hour ago, ProphetBeal said:

For 4k gaming it's all about the video card. That looks like a really good setup with the exception of that video card. For 4k you'd want a GTX 1080ti 

Ok other that the R9 I should be good. Does anyone wanna buy a r9 graphics card lol. 

HornyHornet
24 minutes ago, Rin said:

already got one water cooled no thanks haha, I'm looking into one of the new amd ones.

I remember 5 years ago, you telling me to get this set up lol. Honestly don't know where to start or what to upgrade. Is the r9 good anymore or? 

SkullCracker
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HornyHornet said:

I remember 5 years ago, you telling me to get this set up lol. Honestly don't know where to start or what to upgrade. Is the r9 good anymore or? 

We spoke about this before when you were looking for a 2nd card. Your system is good except the video card if you want 4K. I'd suggest waiting and see what AMD/Nvidia will release or pick up a 1080ti when they drop in price. As I said, you have a nice PC and is on par with what I have. http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-5930K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4960X

And you and I both can OC our CPU's and see a performance gain from that as well. But I'd upgrade the GPU and be happy.

Edited by SkullCracker

ProphetBeal
1 hour ago, HornyHornet said:

Ok other that the R9 I should be good. Does anyone wanna buy a r9 graphics card lol. 

Funny enough I actually just bought a 2nd R9 390 and am currently running 2 cards in crossfire. IMHO they are still good cards for 1080p gaming. I got the 2nd card to boost my FPS while playing at 2560 x 1080 (which is an ultrawide resolution)

SkullCracker
55 minutes ago, HornyHornet said:

I cant run my r9 and a 1080 can i? 

I must ask why you'd wanna run both of them? I see no need in bothering with the AMD card if you upgrade into a 1080ti.

Rin
Posted (edited)

They are good cards will do the job but not for 4k. You either get a titanx, 1080ti or wait for a decent amd cause i didnt like the vega ones much.

No you cant run 2 different cards (technically you can) it has a lot of little big issues. Don't bother trying it.

ps: im waiting for the 2nd gen stuff from amd to make this pc a render farm for my work and get the other one into gaming and working.

Edited by Rin
  • Like 1

SkullCracker
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HornyHornet said:

I was thinking of running 3 monitors @SkullCracker

You could do that with a 1080Ti. I'd just sell the card and put it towards a 1080Ti or wait for the new series. Now I run dual monitors off of one card and I'm running SLI. My cards right now are EVGA 780Ti and with the 2nd monitor going it doesn't hurt FPS. So you'd be fine with one card and 3 monitors.

Edited by SkullCracker

ScubaSteve82103

I run an R9 390. It's a solid 1080p card and maybe 2k for some games, but it doesn't have enough horsepower for 4k. You need a 1080ti like all the comments above, and even the 1080ti struggles in some games at 4k. 

• Like 1

ProphetBeal
13 hours ago, HornyHornet said:

I was thinking of running 3 monitors @SkullCracker

Running 3 monitors or gaming on 3 monitors? Also what resolution are those monitors going to be? Cause I don't think a single 1080ti would have enough power to drive gaming on 3 4k monitors. 

SkullCracker
4 hours ago, ProphetBeal said:

Running 3 monitors or gaming on 3 monitors? Also what resolution are those monitors going to be? Cause I don't think a single 1080ti would have enough power to drive gaming on 3 4k monitors. 

You'd need two 1080Ti in SLI if it's for gaming. And if it were me doing this I'd go 2 widescreen and place of 3 monitors. 

ProphetBeal
1 hour ago, SkullCracker said:

You'd need two 1080Ti in SLI if it's for gaming. And if it were me doing this I'd go 2 widescreen and place of 3 monitors. 

Unless it's been fixed, gaming on 2 monitors is problematic. Your cross-hair in shooters ends up being in the bezel between the 2 monitors.  

SkullCracker
6 hours ago, ProphetBeal said:

Unless it's been fixed, gaming on 2 monitors is problematic. Your cross-hair in shooters ends up being in the bezel between the 2 monitors.  

Never thought of that. If that be the case I'd just get the ASUS TV that's coming out. Why spend all that money on 3 monitors when you can have this.

• Like 1

ProphetBeal
1 hour ago, HornyHornet said:

I've already got 3 monitors. One one is 4k. Plus wouldnt be gaming on all 3, just the 4k.

You should be fine with a single 1080ti (or whatever the newer cards are called).  Most cards have enough plugs to support 3 monitors on a single card. 

CA8OOS3

The 1080TI will suit you well. If I hadn't sold my old system cause my car broke I would still have it. The 1080TI should be dropping in price soon depending on when NVIDIA anounces...I wouldn't touch an AMD Card at all right now, Seems VEGA only keeps up with a 1080 on LINUX at this point. 

You got a nice setup, I had the 5820K Running at 4.5GHZ at 1.29v and it was a beast. Should be able to get your overclock up if you want. 

Check out this Video from Linus Tech Tips and get your overclock on. (Using 5820K for Reference but you should be able to follow this and get a great overclock)

• Like 1