Sign in to follow this  
Cashe

Communicating Threat Locations - Tips Thread

Cashe
Posted (edited)

I'm not the most proficient PUBG player, but I'm strategic in my approach to gameplay as a preference.  I don't put in near the hours that some do, but I'm getting better... really.

Anyway, I've noticed over time that there's a struggle in squads (or duos) communicating where threats are.  It's pretty important I think.

Creating this thread to tap the community, to see if there's some insights out there, any gems or just tips, on ways that help communicate enemy locations.  If so, post away, and thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read on if you like for some examples of communication challenges:

As some examples of communications gone wrong, here's some of the things that challenge us or trip us up.  I'm sure there's a gazillion examples, can be funny in hindsight, but just some things that maybe we can improve:

Ex #1 - was working with a squad, two guys arrived at a house down the road in a small group of houses in the countryside, and one announced there were enemies.  I had some scopes, so I head down the road to join them.  A 3rd party member joined them ahead of me.  I see a nearby group of houses about 200 yards away from their houses and think I might use my scoped weapons from a little distance, 2nd story house.  To confirm the situation, I ask, "are they at your location?"  Answer, "yes."  So, I go to those houses 200 yards away (which were a little closer to me anyway), and as I approach these houses and just outside the fence, the same player who announces the threat and affirmed that they're at his location, says, "Cashe, what are you doing, you're going to the houses they're at."  Blam, now a 3-man squad.  Bad intel.

Ex #2 - was working a small town in a duo.  I run across a street to keep adjacent to my partner, while doing so I see an enemy.  I say, "Enemy four houses away into town, same side of street".  We're now in the same house, partner says, "One across the street at the truck."  There is a pickup truck directly across the street, the kind you can drive.  I'm looking, and looking, and looking, the house behind, the walls around, the open spaces nearby ... don't see anybody.  I say, "I don't see anyone at the truck."  Partner answers, "he was just there."  I'm looking again after the confirmation, while meanwhile unseen by us the enemy duo is actually pushing us from our side of the street.  I'm still looking for the threat across the street when my partner dies from shooting at the corner of our house.  I look around the corner and two guys point blank end me.  Turns out that the truck my partner was referring to wasn't the pickup truck across the street, but a derelict prop ambulance four houses down the other side of the street and requiring a different viewing angle entirely.  Bad intel.

Ex #3 - this one happens all the time.  Due, Trio, or Squad running the countryside and someone says, "enemy 310."  Well, 310 to one person isn't 310 to another.  "Where?"  "305 now, behind a tree."  I look 305, in the 45 degrees around 310 from my perspective, there's a road, different groups of houses off into the distance, near hills, far hills, and about 40 trees ... look ... look ... look ... "Where?" ... "by the tree."  OK.  Players kept out of the conflict by lack of targeting info.  Usually followed by, "I'm knocked," or "I'm down, headshot."

There may be a better way to communicate, but I try to avoid calling out map compass points unless my partners are standing very near me and would have the same compass points.  Instead, when I run or move, I keep awareness of what direction is to the left of me (say, Northwest), which is ahead of me (say North) and which is to the right of me (say Northeast), so when I see an enemy, I will say something like, "two guys, Northwest, our side of that road, left of the houses running away from them," or "guy North, crest of far side hill running to the right."  Something descriptive enough to allow all team members to lock onto the threat's location regardless of where they're standing or which way they're facing (better than saying "left" or "right" or "ahead").

Another time we're in a squad and we got destroyed by a duo (I think, we were never sure lol).  We got the drop on them, had them pinned down against the back of the blue circle, and we're on a ridge or behind rocks.  I'm looking, they're hiding.  Someone gets hit, doesn't say where it's coming from, not even the direction it could be coming from (the one not protected by cover, like "has to be from the East, otherwise I'm under cover").  Another player says, "they're coming up on you, Cashe," but not telling me from where at all.  I look both sides of the boulder I'm behind, a wide 120 degree swath of land clear of enemies centered at where they were last sighted, and turns out I'm looking the wrong way, because we were flanked.

I think every sighting of an enemy, even when knocked or killed, is valuable intel necessary to be communicated to the group as a norm - it's a team effort for the entire Squad, to the end of the round and the last man standing:

• What direction,
  • How distant,
  • How many,
  • As specific and descriptive as possible.

I'm often the first to fall, and I stick with it until the last man falls, with sightings, descriptions, circle alerts, any alerts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and P.S. - Reviving Teammates - we all seem to know that it's important to finish off a guy that's been knocked.  Why? Because we don't want them to be revived to add one to the threat count, right?  Yet conversely, some players seem to very rarely if ever stop to revive their own partners.  I understand that sometimes it's too risky, or relative to the moving circle, or that we might be being pushed sometimes.  But when its a pattern for some, or when the enemy that knocked one of us was 400 yards away and a partner is only 20 feet away to be able to revive someone ... that seems like we don't understand that the flip side of finishing off an enemy for a reason is to save one of our own (as the enemy does for their own really consistently it seems.)  Seems to me, and please chime in if other thoughts, that unless one feels they're being pushed and in imminent threat, the top priority should be to stop what one is doing and get a teammate up for mutual survival.  Team effort and smart play to the end.  Well that's the strategic way I prefer anyway, if it helps.

Edited by Cashe
  • Like 2