Beliathon

Every citizen should watch this

Beliathon
Posted (edited)

So as someone who has been a backer since SC's kickstarter, I feel strongly this set of videos should be viewed by anyone considering backing this game. 

Please don't kill the messenger. Thanks.

Edited by Beliathon

Sakkara
Posted (edited)

As a kickstarter backer, allow me to also present an alternative take on the Star Citizen project. There will always be folks that tell you that you are making an impossible effort or that you cannot do something. For those of us with disposable income looking to take a chance on a very high bar, this may be for you. :)

Edited by Sakkara

Beliathon

pntpzv95pc111.png

Sakkara

I had not seen that one. :) The above comes off as a cartoon more about class as opposed to being about a computer game. That same argument could be made about cars, houses, and just about anything. Money guarantees you transportation, a place to live... ect. Star Citizen backers are just folks who want to spend money on a crowdfunding project. I have packages to support game development, but the ships in them can be earned in game later (and some now to mess around with) for no investment whatsoever. 

I do have a question for you directly, however. Clearly you are not a fan of that project and I'm curious to what is driving you to actually post these kinds of things in the Star Citizen game forum itself? Maybe I'm not passionate enough about this stuff, but I don't visit game forums I do not like and post material about other folks not liking them. Instead I focus on using my time on games I do enjoy. Or is it you feel like you are warning folks [honest question, not sarcasm] about Star Citizen and doing them a service? 

Cheers

Beliathon
Posted (edited)

Warning folks about star citizen is a service I provide free of charge. I had to call Ortwin Freyermuth directly and threaten a lawsuit to get my refund from CIG in late 2016. 

Do the backers of Star Citizen ever think about the implications this kind of sales behavior from CIG will have on the game's future economy?

If you already own the ship you want, what is the incentive to actually participate in the game economy? In fact, if you have access to a large fleet of ships, you are heavily incentivized to actively deny access to resources to others to build these ships.

The glacial development pace of this game not withstanding, being able to directly trade USD for literally everything desirable in game has huge problems for a game that's supposed to have some organic, player-driven economy. 

If CIG adjusts that earning those ships takes a reasonable amount of play time, then all the people having invested thousands of dollars will rage and demand refunds, because they have lost their perceived "investment". Also CIG will lose their main source of income, since nobody will buy their ships anymore. Worse still in this case, chinese gold farmers will swarm like locusts all over the game as it will be a far more profitable venture than any game that has come before.

On the other hand, if CIG adjusts the time required to earn a ship in-game based on the price tag of the ship and a wage of $1/hour, then many ships will require several hundreds of hours to farm. Also in this case, SC will go down as the most pay to win game in history, even worse than any EA game ever made.

It's an impossible balancing act, and the players lose whichever direction CIG takes. And CIG knows this, which is why 6 years into development there is still no economy whatsoever to be found. Why there is still no ability to earn ships in the game - they can only be bought.

Get a refund, if CIG even still allows that.

Edited by Beliathon

Sakkara

Well, that certainly does sound like a terrible experience! I also have spoken to Ortwin and Sandi, but had a completely different outcome. I approached them in a friendly way to get a refund from an account I had (for real life reasons) in 2016 and they granted that request. In fact, I created a new account to support the project later on simply because they were so accommodating. They had absolutely no legal reason to give me a refund (the account was very significant) but did it anyway.

I see the points you have made and where you are coming from. However, do you not you consider those issues as strictly potential future pitfalls? Meaning, you speculate on many "what if" scenarios, bridges that have not been crossed yet. No doubt I have questioned monetization plans in the long-term as well, but I have no doubt these challenges have been considered in some sense.

Being that SC is skill based, I'm also not sure that buying any ship is a "win" button. I've seen $40 starter ships wipe the floor with $250 heavy fighters without breaking a sweat.

Time will tell I guess, neither you nor I have a firm grasp on these outcomes. 

Book

Zzzzz conspiracy theorists

Sakkara
On 6/4/2018 at 6:54 PM, Book said:

Zzzzz conspiracy theorists

Not me! *theorist singular. :)

• Like 1

Preacher

Personally I don't spend anymore money than I can afford to lose. I've currently spent around 3k and will probably buy a few more ships before release. I believe the game will release though probably not for at least another 2 years, and if it doesn't then Oh well! (I use the same philosophy when people ask for money. I give expecting nothing in return so when they never pay back I'm never disappointed)

I think the vast majority of people who back the game feel the same as I do. it has over 2 million backers but only about 1% of those people even care to even come onto the forums. Most people have just a minimal amount invested which is on average around 90 USD last I checked. 

I keep seeing people being frustrated about how long development is taking. They compare it to how long other games took to release. However there is no real example prior to Star citizen. This game is far more ambitious and vast than any game prior to it. and yes CIG definitely has made some mistakes along the way that could have been avoided. But that's also part of game development that's is pushing the boundaries of whats been done before. 

I don't think we will see Squadron 42 (which for those that don't know is the stand alone version) at the end of the year but I do think we will see the first episodes of it in Q 1-2 of 2019 which they have always said would be in installments. 

rustyneedle_uk
On 6/10/2018 at 4:44 PM, Preacher said:

Personally I don't spend anymore money than I can afford to lose. I've currently spent around 3k and will probably buy a few more ships before release. I believe the game will release though probably not for at least another 2 years, and if it doesn't then Oh well! (I use the same philosophy when people ask for money. I give expecting nothing in return so when they never pay back I'm never disappointed)

I think the vast majority of people who back the game feel the same as I do. it has over 2 million backers but only about 1% of those people even care to even come onto the forums. Most people have just a minimal amount invested which is on average around 90 USD last I checked. 

I keep seeing people being frustrated about how long development is taking. They compare it to how long other games took to release. However there is no real example prior to Star citizen. This game is far more ambitious and vast than any game prior to it. and yes CIG definitely has made some mistakes along the way that could have been avoided. But that's also part of game development that's is pushing the boundaries of whats been done before. 

I don't think we will see Squadron 42 (which for those that don't know is the stand alone version) at the end of the year but I do think we will see the first episodes of it in Q 1-2 of 2019 which they have always said would be in installments. 

True believer mate. I am a backer of Star Citizen from day 1. I hope gets a release but personally the way they have gone with the ship purchases. I don't understand how they will balance the economy but I hope we see the game released as he imagined it. Time will tell. And I hope he succeeds as I would love to be a part of that world 🙂