Thresh Express

Sound drops and micro stutter

Thresh Express

Hello guys,

I could really use some help with my PC. So, for the last couple of months I've been getting micro stutter. For example, when I play Kona, Kholat, Dishonored, the games work perfectly, but then, all of a sudden the frames start to drop from time to time. Mafia 2 for example lags every time I shoot, then after 2 minutes it works fine, and so on. I tried reinstalling Windows, it did not help. I also cleaned my PC, didn't help as well. Tried playing with AMD Cool 'n' Quiet, that didn't work either. Any help would be appreciated.

My specs are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845, idle temps 10 °C

RAM: 4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 804MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A68HM-S1 (P0), idle temps 34 °C

GPU: 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 250, idle temps 26 °C

HDD: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA), idle temps 34 °C

IBrokeIt

First step into troubleshooting this is acquiring some tools to monitor and assist with real-time values. 

I would start by getting something call CPU-Z to monitor your CPU temps, clock speeds, load, etc.  Granted, if you want just a general sense of your CPU load you can just load up a game then alt-tab out and open your task manager and view the performance tab.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Another useful tool is to monitor your GPU usage and temps. Something like MSI Afterburner will do well for something like this, you'll just have to go to the settings for Afterburner and setup the parameters to monitor in the on-screen display that will show up in the top left corner of your gaming window.  You can also add CPU and RAM monitor values here as well such as clock speed, usage, temps.  But for the sake of GPU, I'd at the least choose to display GPU temps, GPU Usage, Core clock, and VRAM usage.

Will these tools you will get a much better picture of what's going on with your PC internally while you game so you can better pinpoint where the problem lies.  I'd say download these programs and follow the beforementioned steps and post pics here if you need further assistance with what values you get.