Sign in to follow this  
Bison

Computer Seriously Underperforming

Bison

So I ran a test to see how my pc was running because it felt a little slow. I just upgraded my cpu, mobo, and ram, and its worse than it was before. It can barely run some low demanding games like insurgency, but does fine on games like EFT and Rainbow Six. Any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Here is the results from the test I ran: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/8361700

dragonslayer0531

What are your thermals like compared to the usage?  Sounds like it may be a cooling issue.

Bison
Posted (edited)

@dragonslayer0531 Idles around 30 C and never goes above 50 C

Edited by Bison

dragonslayer0531

Current specs vs old specs?

Bison
1 minute ago, dragonslayer0531 said:

Current specs vs old specs?

Old: i7 2600s @ OC'd 4.3 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, ASUS P8-Z77-VLK mobo

New: i7 7700k OC'd 4.7 GHZ, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, ASUS PRIME Z270-A mobo

both paired with a GTX 970 SC

dragonslayer0531

Hmm... check the connections and check to make sure your thermal paste is still good.  I would expect you replaced it?

Bison
Just now, dragonslayer0531 said:

Hmm... check the connections and check to make sure your thermal paste is still good.  I would expect you replaced it?

Yep

Ackelby

What do you have for a power supply? Check your bios config and see if you have options on that you do not need, ie,. are you using windows and the bios for fan cooling, or using some AMD processor options - I know this is unlikely however it will not hurt to double check.  Is your windows install the same one that you had on the HD before, maybe because it is a newer i7 and you were using an older i7 you do not have the proper drivers in the install package.  There might be something useful on the net about this.  When I swapped from my HDD to SDD I encountered a similar problem after I swapped in the bios from a standard HDD to SDD, having to manually configure windows to load a driver so I could use the SDD's delete features.

• Like 1

dragonslayer0531

Not sure what to tell you then.  Those have been the primary causes of my issues before.  Like @Ackelby suggested, definitely take a look at your PSU and bios settings.  Good luck!

ProphetBeal

The benchmark you posted mentioned you had 30% background CPU utilization. Sounds like you just might some other tasks running in the background slowing things down.

dragonslayer0531

Maybe. I know I have AutoDesk start up as soon as I turn on my computer, and that eats through my RAM and CPU.  I have to close it as soon as I turn on my computer, then I'm good to go.

BangshotN

A stupid but maybe easy fix, something that I had to found out as well, is to go to your power settings and change them to max performance. Settings -> System -> Power management -> Advanced -> Now put it on high prestations.