Sign in to follow this  
M0710NM4N

Help with upgrading...

M0710NM4N

PC Parts Recommendations?
Need help with major overhaul of my system so it will run PUBG and give me at least a couple yrs before worrying about having to upgrade, but also don't want to break the bank if it can be avoided. My GPU is the R9 390 8GB.

I do have some basic requirements...

Intel only CPU..
ASUS only MOBO...
Corsair only Memory...
Good CPU cooler and fans...

I already have a good SSD, HDDs, GPU and CASE.

ScubaSteve82103

I would avoid building a computer until prices normalize. What is your rig setup?

• Like 1

SkullCracker
23 hours ago, ScubaSteve82103 said:

I would avoid building a computer until prices normalize. What is your rig setup?

Exactly what Scuba said. Right now the market is all messed up and I don't see things calming down anytime soon. In fact, the crap Nvidia is doing with their partnership program might actually hurt the market even more. I guess we'll see what happens but don't expect any changes anytime soon. If you can I'd say wait till next year and upgrade.

ScubaSteve82103

Not arguing with the initial request because you like what you like, but I just keep hearing future proof and I am looking at the following based on 2 provided setups (very nice of y'all by the way)

about $400 = Intel 8600k + z370 mobo (6core/6thread w/oc ability and a fancy motherboard)

about $400 = Ryzen 1700 + b350 mobo (8core/16thread w/oc ability and a less fancy motherboard)

I was comparing the difference on the motherboards and I think the b350 would suit the majority of gamers (cause we basic)
Intel will definitely win in the FPS market due to the higher clock speed, but I think that is about it. 
Then when it comes to FPS, I start to think about monitors. Does 120fps in a game vs 90fps in a game really matter if they are running a 60hz  or 75hz monitor? 

I wonder how many people are "aw sweet bro, you're getting 560FPS in Counter-Strike source!! Your computer is so badass!!!!!!
Sorry bro, you're only getting 60FPS cause you don't have a fancy gaming monitor with a high re-fresh rate.

I am running an R9 390 as well and my monitor tops out at 75hz for freesync. I think I really only notice the smoothness of freesync when I get down in the 30s or 40s for FPS.

But I'm just rambling on now because I'm bored. 

Next question, why are you partial to intel/asus/corsair?

• Like 1

55GHz
Posted (edited)

I personally wouldn't worry about prices right now, unless your buying a graphics card. DDR4(Ram/Memory) prices are high compared to what they were when it hit the market. Some almost double the price as when released. But i don't think that's any reason not to build right now. Just buy 16 gigs of fast Corsair ram instead of 32 gigs for now. Add more later if you need it, but as far as gaming goes, 16 gigs is enough.

As far as Intel goes, the new Coffee Lake chips are beasts.Especially if your going to overclock. Not to say Ryzen sucks at all but, if you wanted Ryzen then wait because they are releasing new chips soon.

Asus makes great boards. I tend to stick to Asus or Asrock for boards personally. I have tried MSI and Gigabyte too. Just find a board that fits your processor and decide what features you may want or need. (ex. Optane,  Thunderbolt, m.2 nvme, RGB...)

Corsair ram will always be my favorite. I have never had a stick die, nor have they had any errors. Their warranty support is excellent from what i hear. I have never had to use it though.

Cooler. Decide if you want air or AIO liquid cooling. Both are about the same price. Decide what fits your case and decide what you want. Some air coolers perform just as good as most AIO Liquid coolers. Not to steer you away from AIO at all, because i use one myself.

As far as what @ScubaSteve82103 said about monitors, most "gamers" will move on to a 144Hz monitor and 2k/4k resolution, eventually. So as for future proofing, you will want all the FPS you can get for gaming. I can tell you that 144Hz feels so much smoother and almost seems faster than my other 60-75Hz monitors. I will never go back!

==============================================================================================================

AIO Liquid cooling just to add to whats already up top. H80i is single 120mm and H100i is 240mm depending on your case.

h80i.PNG

h100i.PNG

Edited by 55GHz
pics
  • Like 1

Wolfesscythe

Still don't understand the Intel fangirling, especially now. Intel's best chip is like 5% better than Ryzen's best chip, currently, for single thread, but like 40% worse for multi-threading?

• Like 1

CA8OOS3

The Intel i7 8700K is King for Gaming, 

stock speed 4.2 GHz boost to 4.7GHz easily overclockable to 5.0 GHz

SkullCracker
7 hours ago, CA8OOS3 said:

The Intel i7 8700K is King for Gaming, 

stock speed 4.2 GHz boost to 4.7GHz easily overclockable to 5.0 GHz

Ryzen is still the best bang for your buck. The FPS difference won't even be noticeable. 

SkullCracker