Sign in to follow this  
Cashe

Tip - Screen & Mouse Setup

Cashe

Just a small tip from a noob.  Was really struggling to get situational awareness in an open environment that isn't a FPS map.  Still am, but getting better.

Mouse settings - after seeing a Youtube on tips, it mentioned mouse settings, and slowing it down to 400 dpi.  That helped me not spaz out when someone jumps out and trying quickly to get a bead on them.  Still struggle with headshots, but slowing down my mouse setting did indeed help.

Monitor - I have a surround set up for Star Citizen, for immersion.  About 60" ultrawide combining the monitors.  So, for Star Citizen immersion (and probably not doing my gaming any service in that game either) the screens were more close up to my face than I'd have for FPS or MMO's in the past - makes me wonder about VR, too, in the following example of impact.  It occurred to me that if I move the monitors more away from my face, I can get a broader awareness or in other words "more screen area focused directly in front of my immediate field of vision"  When the screen is closer up, more of the game area moves into "peripheral vision".  I think this greatly improved my situational awareness, and right away, got 3 kills - my highest per round.  I suppose there's a trade off in being able to scope in on someone with the screen farther away from your face, but I'm doing even better on aim, too, so seems like ideal distance from face to screen is a factor.

Finally, not the first time I've done this, but the reticle for aiming in this game - the faint small white dot (very similar to Destiny) - is very hard for me to see, especially to find it when thrown into sudden combat.  So like Destiny, I cut a small piece of a corner of a Post It note and stuck it to the screen, to create a more visible aiming reticle.  That helps.  I cut the tip off so I still see the white dot, and positioned it to the bottom right quarter of the dot, so it doesn't obstruct either above the dot's horizontal line, or a scope's MOA ticks.  Like a "quarter round."

Small details, if it helps anyone.

• Like 1

Vex

@Cashe

Just an Idea for the crosshair as well; in the game settings you can change your crosshair color; I've found Green or Red works best for me; as most the time, you shouldn't be pointing at the grass :cheecky:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Larold

I have my mouse set up universally no matter what I'm playing. The best/easiest way I've found to do this because games have different sensitivity values is I find the spot that makes moving from one side of my mouse pad to the other is a 360 degree turn

• Like 1

Cashe

Following up.  Turns out my surround sound was not set up properly.  Wow.

I've always had trouble determining what direction sounds are coming from.  Always wondered why players I shoot at can so accurately turn to me and return fire, while at the same time, I struggled to tell where the fire was coming from when someone shoots at me.  I always figured that I'm not as good in hearing some nuance of sound that others can.  Well, after all this time, my sound was f'd up.  Thanks to Tyyni for forcing the issue and saying, "no, you should be able to tell, something's wrong."  Can't think of how many times I've said, "Being hit, don't know from where," or "where did that come from," but someone thankfully caught on to a problem.

So, putting it out there, if you can't distinctly hear where something's coming from, even at a basic level in left and right ear... something's wrong.  That applies to shots, footsteps, airplanes, bombs, vehicles, wind and environmental sounds... everything.  Turns out I was really hearing everything equally in both ears all this time, and wasn't just missing some nuance.

Also, there's a lot of discussion out on the web that debates both sides of whether to set your audio to Stereo (2.0) or Surround (5.1 / 7.1).  Some saying it's one, some saying its another.  They even say both things for my specific hardware relative to PUBG.  Definitely confusing.  Not sure what the answer is, but will be fine tuning and at least for now just glad that I'm hearing things with distinct directional sounds.

Cashe
Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 12:04 PM, Cashe said:

Following up.  Turns out my surround sound was not set up properly.  Wow.

I've always had trouble determining what direction sounds are coming from.  Always wondered why players I shoot at can so accurately turn to me and return fire, while at the same time, I struggled to tell where the fire was coming from when someone shoots at me.  I always figured that I'm not as good in hearing some nuance of sound that others can.  Well, after all this time, my sound was f'd up.  Thanks to Tyyni for forcing the issue and saying, "no, you should be able to tell, something's wrong."  Can't think of how many times I've said, "Being hit, don't know from where," or "where did that come from," but someone thankfully caught on to a problem.

So, putting it out there, if you can't distinctly hear where something's coming from, even at a basic level in left and right ear... something's wrong.  That applies to shots, footsteps, airplanes, bombs, vehicles, wind and environmental sounds... everything.  Turns out I was really hearing everything equally in both ears all this time, and wasn't just missing some nuance.

Also, there's a lot of discussion out on the web that debates both sides of whether to set your audio to Stereo (2.0) or Surround (5.1 / 7.1).  Some saying it's one, some saying its another.  They even say both things for my specific hardware relative to PUBG.  Definitely confusing.  Not sure what the answer is, but will be fine tuning and at least for now just glad that I'm hearing things with distinct directional sounds.

Within a couple days, with my new directional sound-enabled gameplay, have used it to stalk players successfully.  In a couple cases already, ran across some guys who appear to have the same problem, they can't tell where I'm coming from when I move in to attack.

Stalked a guy in a warehouse for example, and as I'm approaching him, within 25 feet (8 meters) there's no doubt he should hear me coming, and I can see he's looking around and no longer looting, but clearly he can't tell where the steps are coming from.  As I continue approaching him square in front of me and soon as his frantic looks turn my way (meaning OK I'm close enough to start shooting before his barrel connects) I open fire, killing him.

So makes me wonder how many players are out there with borked directional sound.  Guess when it comes to enemies, OK, let's just make sure our squaddies are not in that situation lol.

Edited by Cashe